Stop me from doing something stupid

LowRyter

I sent my speedometer for repair, got it back and am about to reinstall it on my V11 Sport. When I took the speedo off, the trip odo stem was broken.  I am about install it and I notice that the stem is completely obstructed by the cover.  That means once I install the stem that I won't be able to take the speedometer out to service it or replace the light bulb.

Am I getting this right?  I am tempted to cut a notch into the cover so that I can slip it off so it won't be encumbered by the odo stem.    

Here're some photos from my EV, same cover except it's chrome.

F83B03818D954896A60E91380A1DEBA4.jpg

0C506DE6BB404043AD3843E886792A70.jpg

So should I cut a notch in the cover or there another way to service the speedo if needed?

It's a reverse thread, so can't you just remove it if you want to pull the speedo again?

I lost mine, so I have a spare not installed. I figure it will get lost too, and I don't really need to know miles driven. Not quite yet.

You can unscrew it by hand - just turn it the opposite direction of how you turn it the reset the trip meter. It might give you a little resistance at first. No cutting.

I got it fixed by Joel Levine.  He's online.  

Since I haven't installed it yet, I can only say it looks clean and the price and delivery were reasonable.  Until I actually install it and use it, I can't make any determination.  I am awaiting a 3v light socket that I damaged when I took it out.  If I had known that I broke the socket at the time, I would've ordered one at the same time.  

BTW- I wrote him specifically about the stem and asked him not to install it because of the cover.  He sent this note:

"Hi, the Reset Knob is a LEFT HAND thread.  After it is screwed in it will NOT unscrew,  If any questions, please call.  Thanks, Joel"

We're talking about a stock Veglia speedo, right? I can say with certainty that the stock knob CAN be unscrewed, I've done it a few times and reused the same knob.

For reference, here is a stock knob for sale at MG Cycle:

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=276&products_id=86

Did Joel do something "special" to yours? I mean - was there some reason to not use the stock knob?

I have the identical stem.  How do you unscrew it?  And if yours unscrews, what prevents you from unscrewing when you use it when you happen to twist it the opposite way?