Updating the rear subframe

Guest John T

My new engine case is the newer one with the bosses in the case like the 02 and newer bikes.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to upgrade the rear subframe that ties into the engine and along with more braces will really tighten things up back there!

I think this might also take some strain off the tranny case making things better all around.

Here is a comparison with my old unit found on 00-01 bikes.

(my helper is Floyd, nothing gets by him)

post-5-1075157824_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's really interesting..... I didn't realize that there was THIS much difference in the 2002+ rear subframe assemblies. I certainly noticed the two forward arms at the bottom on my bike when comparing it to the 2000/01 bikes, but never realized that big diagonal was there.

I'm glad you had the opportunity to photograph them side-by-side. Very educational! Big difference :o

al

Might be hard to see, but there is also a brace that extends up and ties into the top left porkchop.

Now all I need to do is have a crossmember welded to my front motor mount. Should cost next to nothing at the local welder.

These mods are worth the price, something good in return. :thumbsup:

BTW it took my dealer 3 whole days to get that part.

Might be hard to see, but there is also a brace that extends up and ties into the top left porkchop.

...yeah, that was "the diagonal" I was referring to that I wasn't aware was there before ^_^

I went out and checked my bike soon after seeing this, making sure the 2002's even had that one... and indeed they do :thumbsup:

al

• 3 weeks later...

After comparing the newer and older frame supports it makes me want to do this upgrade.

Trouble is my older cases don't have the bosses for the forward mount. I'm considering whacking off the forward rods as the remaining cross bracing looks like it would really stabilize the swingarm pivot.

Other trouble is the 275 USD. Probably should get springs first. :bike:

The lower diagonal would be easy. But the upper mounts to two of the fasteners for the main frame's cross tube and side plate. The dimensions and angle would have to be exact.

So, no, I don't think anyone near here has the talent to pull it off. :( Maybe if I had one of the actual subframes I could get it copied.

Any donors?