Oil cooler line coupler

czakky

I'm waiting on parts and getting prepped to finally change out my upper sump ring/flange so that my kickstand is working properly. Anyway a few months ago I bought a used upper sump ring/flange. Today I was stripping off some of the hardware in preparation and found the finish bubbling off the oil cooler line coupler/nipple things. The part with the sealing washer. Finish is really coming off. Obviously I'm not using the part but what could have caused this? Should I be worried?image.jpegimage.jpeg

Let me see if I understand this:

• You have some used oil line fittings that came with the used sump ring - but they are flaking
  • You also have good oil lines and fittings on your bike, which you plan on using

If that's correct, then where is your concern? Is it that something may be wrong with the upper sump ring? Can you see any damage to sump ring? Or perhaps you are just curious?

Yeah, Scud just curious. I'm not using the coupler on the new ring. The couplers were still covered in oil, kind of unnerving thinking that oil might be breaking this zinc/chromate whatchamacallit down.

• 1 month later...

I just pulled these couplers/nipples from my bike. The zinc chromate coating is definitely failing on mine too.

Is this a worry?.... What other parts have this coating that are in contact with oil?