Scura starting (electric) issues ...

pco27

Hey :) Great Forum....

I finally have a Scura after many years of dribbling over them on this forum and other places on the web......

My shakedown ride here in NZ down to the south island was great....except for the night she was left outside with heavy rain. It may have been the first time Scura (i havent named her/him yet) has been left out for the night! Anyway....next morning I got a start after a few attempts with no engagement of the starter initially. Then once running the battery light stayed on, stop for gas, wont start at all...mmhhhh....no neutral light (this may be a simple fix wire off) almost time to go direct starter to positive battery terminal with handy dandy wire.....then I discover she fires up with the stand up....To turn the bike off I just put the stand down :) then switch key off....battery light flickered for a while and seemed to "dry out" after 200k's now its off, Scura is running great once past 70 kph with carbon mistrals and lightened flywheel, otherwize "lumpy" (like a rotary engine) under 70 kph, I kinda like it :)

I am just getting to know her and we will be together forever :) well thats always the intention.....any advice to help our relationship would be great :)

all the best

Sounds like a proper shakedown. Congratulations on the bike.

Since she's new to you, it wouldn't hurt to pull the tank off and unplug/clean/reconnect every electrical connection, including your battery and ground wires. Maybe clean up the switches on the handle bars too. Docc maintains a tank-off maintenance checklist which you may as well have a go at.

A lot of people (self included) swap out all the relays to eliminate them as potential sources of problems. It seems the Omron brand work well and are only about $5 or $6 (US) each from Digikey.

As for being together forever... If for some reason I had to consolidate down to one motorcycle, my Scura would be the survivor.  :ninja:

• Like 1

Either myself or Kiwi-Roy are going to tell you to MIND THE MAIN GROUND! On most it's behind the seat lock attached to a transmission bolt. Clean it up and use some dielectric or Vaseline to keep corrosion out.

Also congrats on owning one of the best looking bikes created!

• Like 1

Remove the side stand switch and bypass the clutch switch. 

Two less places for starting failure. 

The only things left in the starting circuit then are the relay and start switch.

So the only thing is to make sure you start the bike in neutral or with the clutch in, no biggy considering the improvement in reliability

• Like 1

There's a starting interlock that calls for either the stand up or the bike in Neutral. Since your neutral light was off you need the stand Up, I'm guessing the wire going to the neutral switch (sticking out of gearbox behind starter) is loose.
Where abouts in Godzone are you? Just that your profile says Toronto

What year is your bike?
I will look at the relevant schematic.

Actually I wasn't able to find a Scura among Carl's drawings, any possibility of sending me a scan of the one in your manual?