03-04ish Sport headlight search

d1jezek

I've had the thing on order with Harper's for months now and I'm apparently in the not-discontinued-but-not-in-stock limbo so I figured it was time to see if other avenues could be explored.  

Here's the story up to now.  I've replaced the headlight before and in that process discovered that the bucket, which is all I needed to replace, is no longer sold by itself and that on top of this, the part number for the whole assembly (01740565) also has been superseded so it refers to something called 'optical group - Breva' 32740511.  Everything was fine with all that, but then one day the new headlight gave some odd vibration noises and I discovered that the plastic had cracked up around the right mounting bolt.  Too much time had passed to get them to treat it as a warranty issue, but they did try sending me what the US warehouse had as the last available bucket.  Didn't work out because there needs to be some kind of captive nut, not included, holding the lower screw that goes through the chrome surround and holds everything together.  

since there was no part number or information about the captive nut I sent it back and decided i should just suck it up and order the whole assembly again. Time passes.

So I'm looking for leads on headlight assemblies.  Optimally, just the bucket since i now have two of all the other parts. This is the headlight that goes on the half-faired models and the original part number can be found in the 03 parts list.  There were some models with a shallower (and less expensive) bucket, but this is the deeper one and mounts with two bolts through the sides of the fairing.  Is it something that also is used on other makes? Aprilia?  Ducati? is there an aftermarket replacement that anyone has had success with?  MGcycles has something that looks close but I'm not convinced. Maybe one day Guzzi will ship one over to Harper's and the problem will be solved, but in the meantime I'm riding around with a headlight which is held together with box tape. 

here's one for an '01.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-MOTO-GUZZI-SPORT-V11-HEADLIGHT-MOUNTING-BUCKET-WIRE-HARNESS-BULB-SOCKET-/331560885002?hash=item4d32919b0a:g:ASEAAOSwEeFVU6X1&vxp=mtr

If yours is anything like this with the side mounts, there are hundreds of other make alternatives. If you aren't fixated on oem replacement. Airheads have notoriously expensive headlights, so I used a $10 vintage Kawasaki, and only a nosy purest can tell. If you go this route, give us a picture an a measurement or 2 so we might make a recommendation. 

There has to be more distance from the front to where the side bolts are so that the chrome edge is positioned correctly in the fairing.  this style would cause the headlight to look recessed behind the fairing.  I measured all this stuff out once when I was trying to figure out which part I needed the first time but I guess I threw out whatever scrap of paper I used.  Took pictures, too.  I guess I can do that again but I'm not taking it back off the bike til I know it's not going to be needed because every removal so far has resulted in the loss of more little bits of plastic.  right now I'm looking at eBay in german.

looks like someone in Germany had one, so I snagged it.  So if this works out, I have three bulbs, two reflectors, three chrome rims and a spare screw or two. Plus some kind of rubber protector which is maybe instead of the chrome rim if it isn't in addition to the chrome.