Dash lights

cash1000

Hi

I noticed the other day that generator light no longer goes and tachometer was wavering when revs above 5000 rpm.

Also long standing problem horn only has a feeble beeb when ignition on and bike going. Once bike has been ridden for a while horn then goes. Ive replaced the horns with similar items. They worked fine for a while then went back to the feeble beeb again.

Battery is a Motoblat and is a couple of years old voltage is 12.8v. Bike starts and runs fine.

Any suggests as to solutions to these problems?

I' m a big fan of Fiaam freeway blasters, I can buy a pair for about $30 c/w a relay. It's essential to provide a feed direct from the battery.

Check the generator light by unplugging the male/female connector and grounding the male from the loom, the female (red/black wire) should have 12 Volts on it,this also powers the tach, check the grounds on the gauges.

Sent from my shoe phone!

BTW if your horns are the snail shell type make sure they are self draining or they fill with water to give the symptoms you describe.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Thanks for that.

Got to opening up back of instruments last night but got stuck on removing knob that winds tripmeter. How do you remove it?

Any thoughts on why horns not working?

Got to opening up back of instruments last night but got stuck on removing knob that winds tripmeter. How do you remove it?

Wind it the opposite direction of how you reset the tripmeter.

Kiwi Roy - I've replaced originals with similar round horns

Scud - Think you misunderstood my question - I want to remove the Tripmeter reset knob so I remove the casing that covers the back of speedo & rev counter so I can find electricial fault.

For any horn to work well you need a relay fed from the battery, check out the Fiaams, they are cheap and loud. The California II came with them from the factory.

Sent from my shoe phone!

To the original post: horns, tach and charging issues? Relay#2 (possibly combined with Relay#1) and concerns for grounding issues:

Use the best possible relays (OMRON), tighten the battery terminals and service all grounds. Consider servicing the ignition switch.

Scud - Apologies it was I who misread your post. Trip meter knob now removed.

Kiwi Roy & Doc - Thanks for your suggestions I will work through them and let you know how I get on. I'm not that confident with electricial stuff so here is a chance to learn.