Reverse Negotiations - Supportive Community

Scud

I've been struck by the number of "reverse negotiations" I've been involved in with forum members. 

What do I mean? Well, a "normal" negotiation is where the seller tries to get the highest possible price and the buyer tries to get the lowest possible price.

Both as a buyer and seller, I've been involved in reverse negotiations that go kind of like this.

Seller:  I'd like $XX for this part.

Buyer:  $XX is not nearly enough for that. You could sell it for more. Let me give you $XX+

Seller:  OK, but only if you will also accept this extra bit, which would go nicely with it.

Buyer:  You really don't have to do that, but I would appreciate it. What else can I do for you?

Seller:  Can't think of anything right now - "pay it forward" to somebody else.

I've also been involved in plenty of "normal" negotiations - and those have all been respectful.

Apparently, Guzzi owners have a reputation for being cheap. Maybe that's true when shopping retail, but I sure don't see cheapness between members here.

I just wanted to point out how cool this community is.

:mg:  :mg:

• Like 4

You have touched in a larger point in society that I have observed over the last couple of decades.

Customers are often willing to pay more for quality service or items. Incessant price dumping leads to shitty service and craftsmanship, which inevitably results in lower standards everywhere. More cheap crap, badly made, delivered late, and installed wrong. Everywhere. It starts to become normal.

This leaves the customer feeling that, if all of the choices are shitty anyway, then all that's left to talk about is the price. And down we go some more.

A normal negation involves "good faith" on both sides. There is not a lot of that going around anymore. But your experience in "reverse negotiation" proves that people DO want an honest exchange of goods and services.

A very talented scenic artist told me once, when I was in a jam, that "when someone looks at something well done, they never ask what it costs, only who did it." That was a great piece of advice I got at just the right time in my career.

• Like 1

If I have a part you need and I'm not using it, I usually say free or very low price..

I still have some EV 1100 parts, Flywheel, used clutch, block, timing cover..

.complete fork/triple clamps/brace/headlight mounts ($200?)

and more, anyone?

Nobody pulled anything. Read it again... it's about what JB said, an honest exchange between fellow enthusiasts.

Want a fuel sensor? I still have it - but my beer sensor reads nearly empty.  :bier:

• Like 1