RECTIFIER LOCATION

JRD

Reading BBennetts thread about installing a new rectifier, and looking at the accompanying photo reminded me of my '02 LeMans.  In addition to the rectifier being located on the front of the bike, the fuel pump is stuffed and jammed up under there also.  Personally I think it looks terrible, like everything was added as an after thought.  "Ok, now that we have this thing designed and built, where are we going to put everything?".

When I restored my '75 Triumph T160 I purchased and installed a new regulator/rectifier and installed it under the battery box which is under the seat and just above the swingarm.  Been there for a couple years now with no indication of heat related problems.  I am seriously considering relocating the rectifier on the Guzzi to the same general area.  Possibly under the battery box frame and above the rear shock and mud guard.  If nothing else it would certainly clean up the area above the alternator cover and if I do it right, might make it easier to access in the event I need to replace it.

Any thoughts or comments?

• Like 2

Having dropped my battery basket, I'm not sure there is enough clearance under there for the R/R without the shock spring pressing upon it in full compression. :huh2:

Seems to R/R is in a good place out front in the air, but there are other places for the fuel pump beside, or on top of, the spine frame.

Docc- Pretty sure the factory moved the fuel pumps from the frames under the tank to the frames above the alternators in '02 due to the heat build up from the cylinders and subsequent "vapor lock" condition.   "Lets mount the fuel pump in front of the frame so it gets plenty of air".   Sounded like a good idea at the time until, "Now what do we do with the rectifier?" .  Oh heck, just stuff it up in there any old place.  Eventually they discovered the "in tank fuel pumps" which cleaned up the area above the alternator and eliminated the vapor lock.  

Kiwi- "without the filter inlet"  --can you elaborate?  Are you running without a fuel filter?