Timing Chain Life

Kiwi_Roy

I changed mine out at 80,000 km mainly because I needed to upgrade to a Valtek tensioner

I'm guessing the chain should last 100,000 miles easily, what do you guys think.

I have been asked the question by a new owner.

• Like 1

What made you decide you "needed to upgrade to a Valtek tensioner?"

And how would one know, say at around 100,000 miles :whistle: , that his V11 needed a timing chain?

I read somewhere a slack timing chain could cause the sneeze the tensioner was quite worn and hardly doing it's job.

I don't know, mine at 50,000 showed only the slightest sign of wear.

Are you saying 100,000 is just wearing in?

I have no idea, that's why I asked :homer:

My Sport has never run better, yet I'm compiling a list of *worries* for the 100k mile mark.

I remember it making sense to put a timing mark on the flywheel and watch it with a timing strobe. If it jumps all about, the tensioner (and/or chain) should be suspect.

I've also brought up the question (with no answer yet) as to what constitutes high "miles" for those accustomed to kilometers. 100,000 miles seems monumental to us Yanks, but that's "only" 160.000 km. Maybe we should have no worries 'til 200.000 km? :huh2:

• Like 1

My California II is at 105,000 miles and still runs well even if it rattles a bit, I haven't looked at the chain yet.

My Eldorado is at 130,000 miles, it was badly worn in the cylinders, the timing chain was good, wait it doesn't have a chain, steel gears look like new.

I have a timing light, so I suppose I should at least look at the mark and decide if the chain/tensioner should be seen to . . .

Otherwise, I'd tell the new owner it's low on the list of concerns.

• Like 1

Otherwise, I'd tell the new owner it's low on the list of concerns.

Wait, what? your selling her ?

Oh, nonononnoo! I was replying to the original post there:

I have been asked the question by a new owner.

The one aspect of the timing chain that merits replacing before it fails rather then waiting until it fails is that timing chain failure typically results in severe engine damage.

I would rather replace the chain before I needed to rather than have the chain fail.

But if I ever can get around to it I will be replacing the chain with gears.

The one aspect of the timing chain that merits replacing before it fails rather then waiting until it fails is that timing chain failure typically results in severe engine damage.

tell me about it, RIP my VW Golf (well over 100k).. and wife's Saturn. (78,000 miles warranty just ran out) .both had chains not timing belts.. owners/service manual said nothing about replacing them..

my current beater Toyota has a non interference motor, waiting for that belt to pop next..