Twin plate clutch poll

Tom M

Even though I don't have any problems with my clutch at about 48k miles I'm wondering if I should consider preemptively replacing it over the winter.  That said I have no idea how long these clutches typically last if they aren't abused.

For those who have replaced their twin plate clutch, how many miles did you get out of it?

How many of you have over 60k miles on your V11 with the stock clutch still working fine?

TIA,

Tom

My clutch was replaced under warranty at about 4,000 miles from an oil seal leak.

So, this clutch seems to be about broken in at 96,000 miles. :grin:

Although, the engagement gears are probably pretty worn as it has steadily increased its rattle-battle.  I, too, thought about the preemptive replacement.

I bet the teeth in Docc's flywheel are wearing out.

Mileage: unknown

Multiple previous owner habits: unknown

Symptoms of failure: it first appeared as slipping under hard acceleration at high speeds. It seems the combined effect of wind resistance and the sudden application of torque were too much for the clutch. I rode for quite a while with it that way - just avoided high-speed roll-ons. The first time it slipped from a standing start I rode it back home gently, parked it, and ripped it out. 

So - go get some speed and whack the throttle open. If the clutch holds, continue on your merry way. As soon as yours slips, order the parts (plates and springs) - then replace at your convenience.

• Like 1

96K is impressive Doc.  Maybe I am jumping the gun on this.  I was thinking about it because my clutch seems to be engaging further out in the lever travel than it used to, even after bleeding.

Scud, I've replaced two or three wet clutches in previous bikes due to slippage so I know the symptoms.  Third gear up a steep hill was a good test for slipping too.

You're probably right, I should just wait for it to slip then deal with it...