Painting plastic

belfastguzzi

I have been searching for information on applying paint to the rotomoulded plastic tank. I will probably paint a bit of my mat black Scura tank (which I assume is self-coloured). I haven't seen any other plastic Sports tanks so have no idea what sort of paint finish is on them.

I have only found this so far: 'Paul Minnaert - I think there is PE on it, PE= Polyethylene. Applying filler or painting is nearly impossible'

which is what I expected, from experience with the plastic in rotomoulded canoes etc.

What sort of paints and preparation have people used and do you know what the factory finish is?

I can't help with the specifics, but you can definitely successfully paint the plastics on the bike, including the tank. But you will have to talk to someone knowledgeable in painting plastics that can provide either the correct primer or tinted paint that will adhere.

One of these days I'd love to get a whole other "suit of clothes" to paint and play with colors for the bike. Maybe I'll run across affordable bits and pieces one day. The hardest would be to find an affordable undamaged fairing <_>

I'm thinking ORANGE with a white stripe right down the middle! :sun:

al