Bestest most cleanest optimal throttle cable routing...

sp838

I feel like Docc posted a topic about his investigation into the best way to route the throttle cable, but I can't find it in this forum... If that topic is no longer available (some things seem to have gone down the Memory Hole) I would really love a refresher.

Thanks!

There is this excerpt in the Tank Off Maintenance Checklist:

>Find the straightest, gentlest routing for the speedometer cable. Make sure it is not crimped, kinked, or bent. If you have an early V11 with the white face Veglia, service those bevel drives, especially the one at the gear box (the upper is attached to the back of the speedometer itself). Make sure the brass insert is pressed well into the body of the drive and consider permanently sealing the metal disc before it goes missing along with the internal worm gear!

Something else I learned from members on the site is to apply "zip-ties" gently, and not cinch them down tightly. Allow a little give and slide, avoid creating heat sinks and work hardening in the wiring , and not risk crushing the cable housings.

Ok, thanks Docc. I could have sworn I remembered a post you made on this topic, and it wasn't even that long ago, replete with photos... Maybe it was all just a dream. I need to have extended throttle cables made because I'm running renthal bars with risers and the stock cable is too short to route properly. Part of figuring how how much longer I'll need is to route the cable the way it should be routed, and then measure how much more I'll need.

There is this 2015 thread on routing the very end of the exposed cable at the throttle body to prevent damage to the cable (with pictures and everything . . . ):

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19113&p=205270

As an aside, there is also an issue with Moto Guzzi having the incorrect part number for the early Sport (later V11 cable will not fit the early Sports). Best place to get a throttle cable (or the correct fitment) for an early Sport (if you need one) is MGCycle in the USA. Otherwise, Guzzi dealers will send you the wrong cable.

• Like 1

THAT WAS IT! Thanks Docc!

It also just occurred to me, after posting in another thread about handle bar risers, that maybe I should try using a cable from a California instead of getting custom ones made by Barnett or Motion Pro. Since I'm using the California risers, that cable would probably already be the correct length...

EDIT: meh, nevermind. California has an entirely different throttle tube mechanism, would mean changing the whole thing. Probably better to have cables made.