2003 Le Mans front axle

2002LeMans

Would someone be able to tell me the length of the front axle for a 43 mm Marzocchi fork ?

And if you know the MG reference number.

There are 3 different models listed in the parts catalog .

The 43 mm Marzocchi fork has a longer axle than the 40 mm.

Hi 

I could be wrong ... the Ohlins forks have the hollow axle that also has a nut to 

Fasten it. i.e.... ducati 

The Marzoc"s  have an axle that feeds from left to right and screws into the right 

fork lower.

That part #  should be GU 01614190

I am unaware of a 3rd option 

sorry ... can't put my hands on my old one 

andy

Hi 

I could be wrong ... the Ohlins forks have the hollow axle that also has a nut to 

The Marzoc"s  have an axle that feeds from left to right and screws into the right 

fork lower.

andy

Oh, right! Maybe four variants?

Early (40mm) Marzoc's could have the axle threaded into the left fork leg or through bolted to a lock nut. I had thought the later 2003-2005 (43mm) Marzoc's were hollow, but forgot all about the Öhlins!

The Öhlins on my 2002 Scura have a solid axle that screws into the LH fork. I'm pretty sure this is the same axle as the 2002 Marzocchis.

The Marzocchis on my 2003 LeMans have a hollow axle that passes through the fork and requires a nut. This would be longer than the solid axle, because the threads have to stick out to accept the nut.

Hi 

fork lower.

andy

Oh, right! Maybe four variants?

Early (40mm) Marzoc's could have the axle threaded into the left fork leg or through bolted to a lock nut. I had thought the later 2003-2005 (43mm) Marzoc's were hollow, but forgot all about the Öhlins!

yes you are right .The 2002 threads into the left peg .No nut. and solid axle.

The 2003 is a hollow axle.

Here is what I have from the 2 manuals.

I have exactly the same configuration as on the 2003 picture with 162 mm between the 2 legs.

But the axle I was shipped from Italy is 264 mm long ( same length as the 2002 solid axle ) and is too short.

It needs a 270 mm axle with the calculations from here . and a different length of the 30 mm diameter end ( 64 mm instead of 59mm for the 264mm axle )

That is why I am asking if someone could measure the axle of 2003 LM  ( Marzocchi 43 mm ) through the hole across the wheel it is easy .

to verify the length needed.

Because there are no specs anywhere to be found.

That would help.Thank you.

1- Picture of 40 mm fork from Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans 2002 Manual

If you add the dimensions  indicated :   165 + 22,5 + 22,5 + 22,5 + 11 + 19 = 252,5 mm  then  the 264 mm axle is correct . it  leaves 7,5 mm for the nut to thread.

-  2-   Picture of 2003-2004 V11 Moto Guzzi manual for 43 mm fork

If you add   162 + 24 + 24 + 24 + 26 =  260 mm    -   then  the 264 mm axle is too short .

The Öhlins on my 2002 Scura have a solid axle that screws into the LH fork. I'm pretty sure this is the same axle as the 2002 Marzocchis.

The Marzocchis on my 2003 LeMans have a hollow axle that passes through the fork and requires a nut. This would be longer than the solid axle, because the threads have to stick out to accept the nut.

Yes you are right.

See the calculations I made with the 2 manuals. Sorry I could not post the images( too big ) .

Could you please measure your axle through the hole across the wheel and tell me to confirm the length of the axle ?

Thank you. that would help very much. 

You are not far. I am in Los Angeles.

Hi 

fork lower.

andy

The 2 first axles 01614180 and ----85 are for Ohlins forks 1st and 2nd series

The Marz 43 mm have a hollow axle and a nut.

The hollow front axle on my 2003 LeMans length is 273mm. I didn't measure the thread pitch, but for reference, the nut on the left side requires a 30mm socket or wrench (same size as the swingarm pivot pin nuts).

IMG_5970.jpg

The hollow front axle on my 2003 LeMans length is 273mm. I didn't measure the thread pitch, but for reference, the nut on the left side requires a 30mm socket or wrench (same size as the swingarm pivot pin nuts).

attachicon.gifIMG_5970.jpg

Thank you !

That confirms my calculation .and why the 264 mm axle is too short.