tire brands

leafman60

Does anyone have any recommendations for a sport touring tire? Has anyone tried the new Avon AV45/46 ST?? The Metzeler ZE6?? I prefer stability over frenetic twitchiness and flickability

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an answer, but here is my post from the "tire size thread" in this section a few days ago....

Has anyone checked out the new Avon ST AV45/46 series tires?

I was planning on going to the "standard" Bridgestone BT10Front/BT20Rear as is favored by the ST community, although BT10 front and rear were also an option.

But I've been hearing good things about these Avons, and the new Metzler Z6(I think that's the model)??

A couple/three threads on the subject:

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...=ST;f=4;t=11390

http://www.sport-touring.net/cgi-bin/msgbo...=ST;f=4;t=11908

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/s...&threadid=57839

al

....and the question still remains ^_^

al

I use the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have had them for 2000 miles and love them. They should last 8-10k as they do on my buddys BMW RT, a notorious tire eater. They are quick handling and very stable in the wet, qualities that make them ideal for touring and more than acceptable for normal riding with a little sport thrown in. I had 2 sets of BT 020 Bridgestones and much prefer the Roads.

Lets face itthe Guzzi is not a sport bike like a 600cc rice burner, so why put rubber on it with a short life.

Lets face itthe Guzzi is not a sport bike like a 600cc rice burner, so why put rubber on it with a short life.

'cause some of us likes to work the throttle on backroads :bike:

and like it better on the road then on the bottom of a ditch. :helmet:

Safety first - economy second!

My current Battlax 57(?) scars the shit out of me from time to time,

so this summer I'll be trying a set of Pirelli Dragon Corsa.

Yeah, I only needed that stickier tire for about a nanosecond back in September. :bike:

In November a friend went down on a bike he rides rather rarely. The verdiict: the funky old Metzler had set around til it was rather hard as a toenail.

Time for an oil change and tires (again). :luigi::luigi:

I use the Bridgestone 020's on the rear of the 1100 sport. Get 16-19 000kms out of them on a very cold morning comming out of a tirght corner you can give it a big handful and it will gently drift but thats about it. Used the avons athough I think they have changed models since but they were pretty good wet weather performance was good too. The only thing that kinda stopped me using them was the AUstralian dollars serious slide backwards against eveything else for a couple of years. One rear avon was about 50 dollars less than a complete set of bridgestones. The dollar has since recovered so it might not be as stupid as it once was.

You could do alot worse than Bridgstone 020's. I've got the stock size on the front, and have gone down to a 160/70 on the back. The change mainly because the early V11's had to large a tire for the rim size. 2002 and newer models had a wider wheel able to properly fit and set a 170 or 180. I went with a 70% side wall because I did'nt want the ass end of the bike to settle any more, thereby causing even more of my side stand and exhaust to grind away.

The tires are a match for traction compared to the stock BT 57's, and appear to be lasting at least twice as long. And the best part is, these appear to be the most inexpensive tires on the market, excluding Cheng Chin's Maxxis line.

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest northend

I agree, I run the 020's on my Le Mans, They're a great tire and I push them to

the edge (no chicken stripes) good feedback. Want something sticker for that

occasional track day, go with the 010's. :ninja:

leafman

as usual with this question everyone has their own favouites, if this was about older Guzzi's I could give much more advice but I'm afraid I've only done 5,500 miles so far on the gorgeous, sexy black V11 Le Mans (sorry getting carried away) :wub: and still have the original BT020 front and an 010 rear (this was fitted after 650 miles and a big puncture on the motorway :blink: 2 days before going to Italy - and it was all the local shop had in stock) but from what I remember I loved the 020's front and rear when they were new - very stable - which became less stable with the 010 rear (can't really blame Bridgestone for this though).

Having praised the 020's I'd also agree with Gthyni, just because the Guzzi's are down on power compared to Jap stuff it doesn't mean you shouldn't fit sticky stuff if you ride pretty hard, as usual personal choice.

One thing about the 020's however the front is now very "cupped" (although plenty of tread) which causes a very odd feeling on some low speed corners and I occasionally ride off the edge of the rear tyre, not sure if thats my riding style or tyre profile. I've heard that the cupping problem can be improved by fitting a 010 front but my girlfriend's Bandit has an 010 on the front and that has cupped also !?

I've also got to make the decision soon on a new set of tyres soon, hmm 020 or Pirelli Diablo.

Mind you I'm off on hols tonight for a weeks skiing in France so I'll be worrying about the carving ability of my ski's rather than the carving ability of tyres.

until I get back, ciao

Mal :helmet:

That's very interesting that you have the 20 on the front and the 10 on the rear.... as this is the opposite of what I've read that many ST guys are using.

They found that they liked the additional grip on the front with the 10, and extended wear the 20 gave them for the rear :huh2:

al

I've also got to make the decision soon on a new set of tyres soon, hmm 020 or Pirelli Diablo.

Unlike most I never liked the 020's - ridden fairly hard, never felt secure on them, slid too easy with little feel. As Mal says front cups really bad.

Fitted Diablos, more feel, much better grip, no cupping. Wear a little quicker.

Also I went down from 180/55 rear to 170/60 - much improved handling.

KB, Cymru :sun: