tire brands

leafman60

Guest dkgross
I use the Michelin Pilot Roads. I have had them for 2000 miles and love them.

Russ...did you go with a different size on the rear? You still happy with the Road Pilots?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

sorry al

I realise this is a bit late but I've just seen your query about my odd choice of tyres, - an 020 on the front and 010 on the rear, this wasn't my choice, I had a wrecked rear tyre (big nail at high speed) 2 days before going on a trip to Italy. The only tyre I could get there and then in the correct size was an 010.

I'm now waiting for the 010 it to wear out (shouldn't be long) and I can have a proper set of tyres again.

Mal :helmet:

As first I have had a BT020, I will never buy this tire again!

As second a Michelin Pilot Road, Good tire but it never gets warm enough to make some decent curve (16.000km) never again.

As third (actually) Pirelli Diablo Street. Behind size 190. Great tire!!!

Next I am thinking about Avon Azaro ST AV45/46

Can you guys tell me about this tire???

ciao

sorry al

I realise this is a bit late but I've just seen your query about my odd choice of tyres, - an 020 on the front and 010 on the rear, this wasn't my choice, I had a wrecked rear tyre (big nail at high speed) 2 days before going on a trip to Italy. The only tyre I could get there and then in the correct size was an 010.

I'm now waiting for the 010 it to wear out (shouldn't be long) and I can have a proper set of tyres again.

Well, take care with that combo Mal. In a recent Sport-Touring.net thread on the subject, someone mentioned that they contacted Bridgestone about mixing the 010 and 020, and they said as long as the 020 was on the back, it was safe. They however did not recommend the mix the other way around.

I have no idea why, although I guess since the possibility of washing out the front would be increased(with greater grip in the rear), this would be a concern. I don't think their profiles differ though.

As an aside, as I've been following these threads on ST.net, I've noticed a lot of people with bikes of similar power and weight as ours run 010s up to 5-6k miles with no problem. So it's possible that unless one is looking for a 8-isk K mile tire, going 010 front and back is reasonable.

I haven't heard much on the Avons either... :huh2:

al

Guest Steen

My RS has done 4500ks on a set of regular Diablos they transformed the bike altho it had the original & worn out tyres on when I got it so cannot off a true comparison except the bike handling is very neutral ...that is no dramatic changes in feel from straight up to cranked over & they are wearing very well

Guest dkgross

so..overall, you think the Diablo's are the best? It's getting close to time for tires for me as well...I'm thinking of going smaller on the back tho.

Guest dkgross

Also I went down from 180/55 rear to 170/60 - much improved handling.

can you give me a brief, laymans explanation as to why you like the smaller tire? I've got the 180/55 on my rear now...and just want to figure out what to do with the new set.

The Diablo's look cool :)

Guest Brian Robson

The bike came with a 180 tyre, yet some still want to put a different sized tyre as if MG know nothing and didn't test the bike before they sold it. The usual rubbish is because "it turns in quicker". Just have a bigger shit in the morning and the same effect will occur. Ask yourself if your insurance company will accomodate your claim after you slid off one spring day because the bike "turned in quicker" on a tyre different to the size the manufacturer recommended.

B)B)

The bike came with a 180 tyre, yet some still want to put a different sized tyre as if MG know nothing and didn't test the bike before they sold it. The usual rubbish is because "it turns in quicker". Just have a bigger shit in the morning and the same effect will occur. Ask yourself if your insurance company will accomodate your claim after you slid off one spring day because the bike "turned in quicker" on a tyre different to the size the manufacturer recommended.

B)B)

Well, I wouldn't say "Moto Guzzi knows nothing" , but then again I wouldn't put it beyond them to acquiesce to the current fashion and performance a big tire suggests by putting an extra wide tire on the newer bikes for "show".

After all, the engine really hasn't changed that much since the late 80s, and HP and torque are about the same... and those "old" bikes did just fine on much narrower rubber :huh2:

I believe it is perfectly likely, especially based on almost the unanimous reports from many riders that have tried it, that a narrower tire indeed turns in faster on these bikes.

Does that make it a required change, or that with the stock tire the bike is an ill handler?? ...I wouldn't say that, but I think this offers yet another tuning option available to the owner, and that's a good thing ^_^

It all depends on your goals and riding style :bike:

al

Well, I wouldn't say "Moto Guzzi knows nothing" , but then again I wouldn't put it beyond them to acquiesce to the current fashion and performance a big tire suggests by putting an extra wide tire on the newer bikes for "show".

Al, I think you have something here

SWMBO :notworthy: The one who Still thinks I should have bought the Blackbird (CBR1100XX). Thinks that the Lemans" is a great looker from the rear with that huge ( two words contains 3 F's)" :o " rear tyre" but she doesn't like the single headlight being a fan of the R1's foxeye look.

I must say that One has become used to seeing large section tyres on sports bikes, and looking back at pictures of the older bikes you can't but notice the skinny tyres. So there must be an element of marketing in there.

But Guzzisti must take SWMBO's comments in context, She doesn't actually ride, She no longer goes pillion due to medical reasons. My kidneys couldn't take the repeated punching :D She has a questionable taste in asthetics - Just look at Me, I've followed this trend and gone from a skinny section in the 80's , through a little wider offering a little more grip in the 90's , and am now extensivley over tyred, complete with pinching causing a distorted overhang :(

But I am happy with the way she handles. ;)

The Guzzi that is :bike:

Guest dkgross

so martin, do you still have the 180/55?

My riding style isn't all that aggressive. I do like the throw it around the twisties a little bit, but I'm significantly more conservative in my riding than most of ya'll here :whistle:

I'm sort of from the 'the more rubber contacting the surface, the better" school of thought..hehehe

Hey up, this is getting a bit weird

I've only just noticed I've been misquoted (shock horror !!) - dkgross' quote box mentions me saying I've replaced a 180 with a 170 tyre. I've never done this and never intend to. I'm more than happy with the 180 section, I find it turns in quick enough for me :D .

Cor blimey, I'll have to watch this misquoting business, I could be quoted as saying I like Hondas next. :o

mystery solved, its a post by Baldini who quoted something of mine, so dkgross, you'd better ask Baldini about the 180 to 170 question.

I'm due for new tyres in 2 weeks, probably going for Diablo's (anyone tried Metzelers Mez 3 ?) but I'm sticking with a 180 rear.

Guest dkgross

oops..sorry for the misquote. damn computers :)

I'll probably stick with the 180 as well..but I'm gonna try the Diablos instead of the Road Pilots this time around.