tire brands

leafman60

I'm bummed to find my Dunlop 220 rear in 160/60 is down to the wear bars at 200o miles. And no Bento-burn-outs either!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Robson

Maybe that the tyre is narrower, therefore more "pointed", which in turn gives quicker steering by riding on a narrower contact patch means that the same contact patch wears down quicker....what you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts. At least the rides you did sounded like they were worth it. :bike::bike::bike:

A friend of mine which is a guzzi mechanic use to say never use Dunlop on bikes with cardan shaft. :xmas:

And i must telL that with the timel i m going in his way, for example on my Super 4 i only ride 600 km with the dunlops sports tire D20xx (don't remember) before removing because i was really not statisfied :angry:

I too had not been a Dunlop fan until I tried the D220. It seems it has cured the nervousness of my 00 V11 Sport. I have only put 40 miles on them but just riding down the street (scrubbing in the sides of the tire), I noticed how the bike rolls into the turn. It feels like a different bike. I had another problem with the bike following pavement edges (or seams), the problem is also gone. So if you have an 00 or 01 V11 Sport, don't go with the Metzeler Sportec M1, go with the Dunlop D220. :thumbsup:

Mike

I'm with Mike. I've got a few hundred miles on the 220's and find them to be grippy and stable. I'm not sure what kind of mileage they'll produce, as the stock Bridgestones were pretty good in that department, but if the 220s do as well I'd stay with them.

Conversely, after my conversation with Mike the other night, the Pirelli Diablo Corsas and Metz Sportec(which are made in the same factory) seem to work fantastically on the 02+ bikes :thumbsup:

He's tried both, on his 03 and 00 bikes...

So, perhaps as a general rule we can say that tires like the Metz/Pirelli work well on the "slower" steering 02+ bikes, while these tires make the "faster" steering bikes too nervous.

I'm planning on getting the Pirellis once the 020's wear out.

al

Guest John T

Here is an interesting tidbit from Guzziology.

In late 2000, Guzzi modified the sport line with fork modifications that eliminated the axle nut (the axle screwing into the left fork slider) and revised the triple clamps to increase steering head angle by half a degree. This got rid of the nervousness of the front end but kept the steering plenty fast.

Starting with the Rosso Mandello in '01, Guzzi fitted upgraded Brembo front discs to eliminate the warping.

From '02 on, the steering and frame were really given the longer lazy handling.

So the first sports were the twitchy bikes, late 00 aned 01 bikes were a touch more stable, and the current bikes are river barges. ;)

(I'm away for a few weeks so see ya later) :drink:

My '00 was manufactured in '99, so I guess I have the twitchy type. It certainly feels far 'sportier' than any other LeMans I've ridden. But I'm not sure I follow where to look or what I'm looking for to see what John means. I still have to say, though, that I've never noticed anything 'wrong' with the steering. Seems very precise and accurate to me.....light even.

Guest dkgross

I'm planning on getting the Pirellis once the 020's wear out.

cool. I'm getting the Metz Z6's and going a size smaller on the rear. It'll interesting to compare notes.

Cos of what Goran said about profiles & John T about running off tread seemed logical, I tried Diablo 180/55. For me it feels much better than 180 BT020, but still not as good as Diablo 170/60.

Both Diablo 180 & 170 slide when pushed hard over. I can't tell which goes earlier. Feels like slide is just lack of grip rather than going over tread? Neither 180 or 170 have been marked up like they had gone over the tread. I've only ridden them on the road, racetrack use may be more instructive, I would dearly like someone who knows for sure to tell me. If it really hangs on for longer I'd stick with 180, otherwise I'd go back to 170.

Thanks, KB :sun:

PS...2000miles, Docc what you be doin? :bier:

Here is an interesting tidbit from Guzziology.

In late 2000, Guzzi modified the sport line with fork modifications that eliminated the axle nut (the axle screwing into the left fork slider) and revised the triple clamps to increase steering head angle by half a degree. This got rid of the nervousness of the front end but kept the steering plenty fast.

Starting with the Rosso Mandello in '01, Guzzi fitted upgraded Brembo front discs to eliminate the warping.

From '02 on, the steering and frame were really given the longer lazy handling.

So the first sports were the twitchy bikes, late 00 aned 01 bikes were a touch more stable, and the current bikes are river barges. ;)

(I'm away for a few weeks so see ya later) :drink:

John T is 100% correct! :thumbsup:

On my 00 V11 Sport, I tried to steepen the head angle and the bike did not like it at all (or I should say, I did not like it at all). Way too twitchy and any speed. It was even hard going in a straight line and what made it even worst was using a fast turning tire. By going back to the stock steering head angle and then changing tires to the Dunlop D220, the bike feels near perfect. I just need to do some fine turning with the suspension.

This brings up another question about using the Ohlins rear shock. The Ohlins rear shock is about 10mm. longer than the stock Sach shock. On the early 00 V11 Sport, this will raise the rear of the bike 20mm. and increase the head angle. I had my Penske rear shock adjusted to the Ohlins shock length ever since I have had it on the V11 Sport. I was always scratching my head on why the bike did not feel right to me. An adjustment to the rear shock length back to the stock length made a huge difference on how the bike felt. This is not a problem with the 02 and newer bikes which like quicker steering.

Mike

• 5 months later...
Guest vkerrigan

A while back I asked some of the same questions about the Avons and Jaap suggested I take a look at the Continental Road Attacks. From various tire tests and spec sheets, they seem to be a very impressive tire and I'll be trying them out in a few months. They are dual density like the Bstone 020's so should work well for ST use. The only negative I read is that bikes >100bhp would overpower the tire in corners. I'll post feedback once installed and ridden.. :bike: ..........vk

Guest Brian Robson

Whose Guzzi will overpower these tyres? 100bhp, we can only dream :bike:

I have a BT 014 on the front and what a beauty...no cupping at all, great wet/dry grip and lasts exactly the same as a 010