tire brands

leafman60

Guest vkerrigan

You're right Brian.......None of us will have to worry about it. The test I read about involved a variety of bikes and the only one to overpower the tires was a Ducati 999. Sounds like your 014's work well for you though......vk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many manufacturers make dual compound tires besides Bridgestone and Continental? The mileage I am getting out of the Bridgestones is actually very reasonable, but I am not all that fond of the handling. Dual compound tires work well in a state that only has three curves total. Later, Dan

cool.  I'm getting the Metz Z6's and going a size smaller on the rear.  It'll interesting to compare notes.

21427[/snapback]

David,

500 sweet miles on a new set of Z6's, with a 170 on the rear of my Cafe Sport. The handling improvement was HUGE compared to the previous 180 series rear (two sets of SportTecs). The SportTecs felt well hooked up with minimal predictable rear slide, but the heaviness of the steering, both turning in and holding in was excessive.

Z6 rear tires have wear bars about 1/2 way out from the middle, so you might want to keep a close eye on center wear. A couple of BMW riders claimed they saw belts showing through in the middle unexpectedly after 6k miles.

TonyBologna

I get 16-18,000Km from bridgestones living in a province with 3 million curves....all weathers. It ain't the tyres :bier:  :bier:

34045[/snapback]

Well, part of it is the weather. It gets, um, moderatly hot in the great midwestern region.

J

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Bridgstone 012's and the 014s?

I fitted a pair of the 012's which I was told was the replacement for the 010's. Seem to work well with no evidence of cupping on the front tyre like the 020 originals.

But a couple of days ago, somebody mentioned that the 012's were a different compound to the 010's (and presumably the 014's). True? :huh2:

I ran Dunlap D205s on my 2000 buell S3T and than changed to the new D220s when they first came out. Both gave me about 5000 mi rideing hard but the front tires would cup real bad giveing a shimmy when leaned over. I now have a set of metzler Z6s with 3000 fast miles on them. These are good tires and should go another 2000 mi. The rear wheel is a 17" PM 5.5" wide and I have been useing 170s.

On the 1996 Ducati 900sssp I ran two sets of Metzler Sportec M1s. These are softer and are cooked at 3500 mi each time on a bike that weights 100lbs less than a v11. The 2001 v11 Sport got a set of Micheline Road Pilots(170 rear) in April at 4700 mi. I now have 9000mi on the bike as it has been in the shop part of the summer (more about this on a latter post) The road pilots should go another 2000 mi and have proven to be excellent tires. One observation I note is that the tread rolls so far up the sidewall that there isn't enought road clearance to run the chicken stripes off. This is just a vanity issue. I may try a set of contenental road attacks next but otherwise my next tires will be metzler Z6s. As to tire milage I think that many riders would get much better milage than I get on all these tires. Tire milage is an individual issue based on each riders rideing style. ride hard , stop fast,buy many tires.

Guest BallabioJoj

A word of warning with the M1-Sportec's. After a low speed slide/get-off on Friday I realised what was the cause (apart from some diesel on the road).

I had mistakenly set the rear tyre to 2.8 bar rather than the spec 2.6 bar. This is not as stupid as it sounds (ok, it is but I have a good excuse! :blush: ) - my other bike is a Triumph Sprint ST and has 2.5 front / 2.8 rear as standard. I must have done it in a hurry and not noticed.

Over inflating the rear M1 Sportec, even by 0.2 bar, made a huge difference; I guess it had reduced the contact patch by perhaps 25-40% :( which was not good news on wet/slimy roads.

A few things I will try to remember :-

- better to slightly under- rather than over-inflate in cold/wet weather

- take a mini-tyre guage with in case the garage pump guage is suspect.

- check pressures weekly (mainly as the temperature here in D changes very fast)

- write down the M.G. tyre pressure settings on the bike somewhere!

Oh well, got away very lightly this time (as did the bike) and will just put it down to experience.

Jonathan

Guest BallabioJoj

I had mistakenly set the rear tyre to 2.8 bar rather than the spec 2.6 bar. 

According to the German website, http://www.metzelermoto.de, the recommended setting for 120/70, 180/55 M1 Sportecs on the V11 Sport (Naked 2002) is 2.4 bar front, 2.5 bar rear.

[[sportec M-1

Vorne 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) TL (M) SPORTEC M-1 - 2.40 BAR

Hinten 180/55 ZR 17 (73W) TL (M) SPORTEC M-1 - 2.50 BAR ]]

This differs from what it sais in the M.G. Owners Manual: p150 has :-

Solo (single rider) 2.2 bar front, 2.4 bar rear.

Pillion (two up) 2.3 bar front, 2.5 bar rear.

For continuous use at max speed, on motorway (autobahn), increase pressure by 0.1 bar, giving 2.4 front / 2.6 back.

Has anyone got advice on whether 2.2 / 2.4 is better than the higher settings?

Any ideas why Metzeler themselves recommend settins that are 0.2 bar different from M.G.?

thanks, Jonathan.