2002 Speedometer cable conversion

docc

Looking over Moto Murphy's 2002 red/grey LM, it has the later "bent tube" speedo cable instead of the expected angle drives common to the white face Veglia.

Did Moto Guzzi change this cable system with the change to black face ITI gauges or sometime in 2002? Or perhaps the previous owner changed his? :huh2:

Anyone out there with white face Veglia and a bent tube cable?

Unknown. I believe it is longer enough to replace both angle drives. I've not heard of anyone using the bent-tube on the Veglia.

I *assumed* the cable changed when the gauges changed, but maybe Guzzi started fitting them to Veglia?

I got a picture of Moto Murphy's upper cable connection and feel certain someone swapped it out for the later bent-tube cable.

As good fortune would have it, I have a cable and fairly new angle drive that just came off my Sport that will get his needle moving once again.

So, does the later "bent-tube" cable still use the short drive shaft coming from the gearbox drive?

[For that matter, is the drive unit in the gearbox the same between the early cable with angle drives and the later cables with the bent-tube?]

(pictured bottom left):

IMG_1959.JPG.jpeg

So, the main drive appears unchanged. The short shaft replaces the cable end of the longer bent-tube cable. So, yes, the shaft is needed for the angle drive and not for the bent-tube.

Standing by to hear if Moto Murphy gets his speedo/odometer back. I told him using the radar cameras out on The Trace isn't a great way to check his speed . . . :whistle: