Lightweight Wheels

al_roethlisberger

...aaaanyway :rolleyes:

While we were talking about lightweight wheels, I guess "Sport Rider" magazine here in North America apparently was listening ^_^

If you pick up a current copy, on page 37 they have an informative article covering several different manufacturers, and examining important factors such as materials, moments of intertia, etc... There were a lot of manufacturers that I had not heard of, and some were well below $2000 :sun:

If you have a chance to pick it up, it's a good read :thumbsup:

...and BTW, yes... no surprise I guess... PVM was at the top of their list :bike:

al

I'm sure you are correct regarding Guzzi applications and pricing due to the special drive for the rear, and has been my experience as well. I'll have to retrieve the article later and provide some examples of other brands they listed. They used a Suzuki GSXR as the test bike/application.

In regard to magnesium, they noted that they did not recommend mag for street use, instead recommending cast/forged aluminum, as we all have heard before. The concerns for magnesium were of course breakage due to it's low tensile strength and rigidity.

They also mentioned that CF wheels were actually quite strong, but aren't certified for race use(and consequently also not really recommended for street use) due to concerns about breaking/delamination due to CF's ultra-rigidity.

al

Well, price is the only thing that held me from cf wheels. If you think PVM is expensive.....think about 3500 $ for a pair.

Wheels passed all tests for road certification carried out by Rim Technology (UK government certified facility)

Corner fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Radial fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Torsional fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Impact test carried out as specified in JWL

a30.jpg

Not PVM Wheels , which brand ?

Ducati also sells some carbon/forged alloy wheels approve for street use but the prices is (like paul says) around 3230 EUR (4000 $) the set on http://www.pleinpot.com/

I have seen the 10 spokes PVM, not bad at all :bier:

968171aaa.jpg

968090aaa.jpg

MM,

coat hanger would be lighter than that heavy stainless steel crap Guzzi uses. Just be certain to drink heavy when threading up the nipples. :drink:

Guest MotoMessiah
Well, price is the only thing that held me from cf wheels. If you think PVM is expensive.....think about 3500 $ for a pair.

Wheels passed all tests for road certification carried out by Rim Technology (UK government certified facility)

Corner fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Radial fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Torsional fatigue carried out as specified in BS. AU. 50.

Impact test carried out as specified in JWL

a30.jpg

Where can I get some info on those gems? I can't seem to find anything on CF wheels...