V11 Dimensions with Tekno Luggage

badwolf.j

I'm working on arranging the purchase and shipment of a V11 and the owner has a set of Tekno luggage that is currently not installed.

I'm trying to figure out if it would make more sense to have the luggage installed for transport or have it shipped separately, as there will be an "oversize" charge added by the transport company if the bike exceeds a certain width.

Could someone with the Tekno panniers installed on their V11 give me measurement of the motorcycle + luggage at the widest point?

Thanks!

36 inches looks like a good number for maximum width (soft bags and the varied ways of mounting could change).

Personally, I would want to see to the mounting myself. This can be achieved more than one way and can be "refined" or "tuned" by a dedicated owner.

I am sure I have narrowed mine. So, maybe other members will post their results . . .

Docc, wouldn't the bags squish down and pack for shipment easily? The mount brackets on the bike shouldn't be too wide

The dimension I posted is the width across the bags, mounted. Yeah, they might squish a bit, but shipping companies will probably take a maximum dimension.

My mounts (without bags) are ~18", Mistral canisters ~23", bar-end weights ~29"

Docc, wouldn't the bags squish down and pack for shipment easily? The mount brackets on the bike shouldn't be too wide

The dimension I posted is the width across the bags, mounted. Yeah, they might squish a bit, but shipping companies will probably take a maximum dimension.

My mounts (without bags) are ~18", Mistral canisters ~23", bar-end weights ~29"

Ahh yes, the width of the "other stuff" ... I forgot that. I meant to say to remove the bags only and box 'em up and mail 'em, leave the mounts on the bike, but no matter. Not that much wider with the bags on.

Last bike I shipped, the truck/trailer opened up and it was FULL of huge Harley's. Little Goose with Teknos isn't near that in width.

. . .  there will be an "oversize" charge added by the transport company if the bike exceeds a certain width.

Footgoose begs the question, then: what is the "certain width" that becomes oversize?

Hmmm, plus, when I read "not installed", I thought the mounts are not installed (?)

That's why I said, "I would want to see to the mounting myself."

Thanks all!  We should be good.

The lady on the phone from the shipping company was rattling off numbers and details a mile a minute. Said she would email me a link to fill out the contract on-line. Had to call them back because email never showed up (did you check your spam folder? - yes, ma'am, it's not there. Could you please try sending it again?). It finally showed up LATE last night. The "certain width" specified on the contract is 48 inches, so we should be all good.

I don't want to jinx anything, but I'll try to post a detailed summary of bringing this V11 home. I'm planning something a little more than a simple fly & ride or "buy it - ship it."

• Like 1