Rear Brake Disk Problems

Guest jlburgess

Guest jlburgess

My '01 V11S has made the same rear brake rubbing noise I think everyone hears when they push their bike around or ride real slow. It seems to rub on the rotor unevenly as if the rotor is warped, but has always done it from the get go. The rear pads were recently replaced with DP's. I'm seeing a lot of scoring on the inside ® of the rotor, significantly more than the other side. The stock pads weren't worn out when the scoring started.

On my last trip, I started to feel a clicking sensation through the footpegs at about 60 mph, seemingly coming from the back end somewhere. I'm thinking the pads are wobbling or the caliper is not sliding back to the retracted position fully. This bike hasn't been in for the tranny recall yet either, so I'm a bit concerned about a rear wheel lockup if it isn't the brake. Any ideas???

Guest gooddog

No official recall on the brke system and rotors. I was experiencing the same issue and had my rear rotor replaced under warranty at 6000 miles. Mgna wasn't happy to cover it though. They don't want to admit that this is an issue. Just ask Dave Gross about his "lock up " issue. Funny thing, i stopped relying on my rear break so much just prior to the rotor replacement, and the "groan" went away. When the rotor was replaced the groan came back. :blink: now at 10000 miles the groan has gone away, but the scoring is coming back. So far the only fix i've seen is to replace the rotor.

ray

You may be correct, but as an aside... l cleaned the heck out of my rear caliper with brake cleaner(as suggested by others) some time back.... and the groan/drag ceased, at least for now.

When I washed/sprayed it out, a TON of brake dust came out... it just kept coming and coming... Someone suggested that the inverted nature of the caliper perhaps accumulates dirt/dust and interferes with the piston's free travel.

I don't know if this is the same root cause/solution for everyone with this issue, but a thorough cleaning worked wonders for me :huh2:

al

And it's worth repeating that the life expectancy of the rear pads is 6000-10000 miles even if you don't use the rear brake heavily.

Put some freeplay in the lever, clean the pistons and check the pads frequently!

I had the same problem on my LeMans at 12k. Pads were toast and rotor was just salvageble. I hardly use my rears except for trail braking in a corner. Poor design in my opinion.

Guest motorheadbob

My rear pads are gone at 8000 miles and.Rich Maud sugested to remove caliper and bleed with with bleed nipple in upright position,ill try that when installing new pads,allong with cleaning disk with Rolock reconditionig disk .

Guest dkgross

mmm.that reminds me...I actually haven't looked at my rear rotor in a while..I'll have to check it today for scoring and marks. It hasn't locked up lately tho :)

Guest jlburgess

Bob from CT, you are the man! It was in fact the left rear wheel bearing. I gave it the spin test and it felt like it was full of rocks. Great tip and you saved me a lot of guess work. :bier:

Did your replacement last well? I'm wondering if it is a spacer length issue. It should've done better than 14K miles. I kind of felt the clicking through the footpegs a little bit right when the bike was new.

Guest Bob in CT

I've only got 4,000 mile on the new bearings, so it's hard to tell. I put almost half of the first 10,000 miles on in the rain so I thought that might have something to do with it. When I tightened the axle the brake started to bind. I could touch the rotor after riding a while, so I didn't worry about it too much. I'm going to do some shimming this spring when I change the tire. Someone else had made a new bushing, but I haven't heard if the rubbing noise is gone now.

Bob

The noise from the rear-end seems to come and go. I had it return recently (most noticeable when pushing backwards) but since it was time for a new rear tire, in addition to taking the opportunity to lube the shaft, I also cleaned the caliper and put a little grease to the swing-arm pin/ caliper holding bracket - no more noise.

Gio

Hi All,

I had the same rear wheel bearing problem on my 01 V11S at about 8000 Mi. I noticed a clicking noise as I was pushing the bike into the garage after riding. When I went to replace the rear tire I checked the wheel bearings. In my case the left side bearing had not been seated all the way into its well and was side loaded when tightened up aginst the spacer. Put in new bearings and all has been ok. Now I need to get it in to the dealer for the recall work. I am waiting for a call back from them as I write this.

Later

RR