Neutral light out, deploy side stand, bike stalls

JBBenson

I really don't care about the neutral light. Sure I'll try to fix it.  My bigger concern is being stranded due to some electrical demons.  None of these issues are consistent.  They N light might be unrelated but coincidental. 

I really don't care about the neutral light. Sure I'll try to fix it.  My bigger concern is being stranded due to some electrical demons.  None of these issues are consistent.  They N light might be unrelated but coincidental. 

Uh.. it's related. 

If the Neutral light is flickering and the side stand is deployed of course it will stall because the ECU is loosing power.

I suspect you have a loose wire or the Neutral switch is sizzling away, it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

The time that it happened didn't appear to be due to the sidestand as much as leaning the bike onto it.  Keeping the bike upright and it idled fine.  Tipping it over to the stand and it would begin to cut out like it was running out of gas and then die.  I did it a few times.  Then went into the house to get my gear off and back to trace it the problem it didn't reoccur.

And then it hasn't happened again. But the flickering continues when I ride a few miles.

Test ride since have been good.

I found the N sensor.  There was a little bit of oil dripped on it.  I think it was oil from the breather cleanup, didn't look pink.  I snugged the connector on the sensor and the light didn't flicker again on the way back home.  Got home and cleaned up the drip. 

• Like 2

I checked it again and I suspect there is a little leak from the tranny. 

It's congregating around the little rubber plug above the Neutral sensor.  I don't know it if it's coming through the plug, above it or just residual from the last cleanup. It's too light to tell if it's motor oil or tranny pink.

I checked it again and I suspect there is a little leak from the tranny. 

It's congregating around the little rubber plug above the Neutral sensor.  I don't know it if it's coming through the plug, above it or just residual from the last cleanup. It's too light to tell if it's motor oil or tranny pink.

That's a rally good connection to clean (electrical cleaner), crimp, and seal inside the boot really well with petroleum jelly (Vaseline®). :thumbsup:

Docc, any idea what the rubber plug it for?

The one at the very top, visible on the silver cover on the right? Yeah, what is that? It appears to be a plug over the shaft for the upper shift wheel, but no idea why the lower one doesn't have it.

guzzi%20gearbox%20005.JPG

Maybe somebody stuck a plug in that shaft hole if it were leaking? (I don't recall the Previous Owner history of your sport . . .)

I do not recall how all of those points are sealed. O-rings inside the shift plate? Others know much more about this than I.

(That image is from LuckyPhil's excellent Shift Improvement thread:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19547

it appears to be the seal across from where item 12 rides (selector) in the case.  It's ride above the N sensor.

http://www.harpermoto.com/parts-by-motorcycle/2000-up-moto-guzzi-motorcycles/v-11-le-mans-sport-naked-1100-2001-2002/gear-box-selector-en-v11-lemans-sport-naked-2001-2002.html

As many times as I've had that thing apart.. you'd think I'd remember all about it.  :rolleyes: I *think* the pins the wheel ride on are just pressed into the casting. No need for a seal, if so.

yep,  you're right.  I thought it was plastic because the weep made it look dark.  I have tranny drip that's congregated there.  

It looks like the leak has returned.

Does it smell like gear oil? That’s a pretty common area for the motor oil crankcase vent leaks to show up.