Surging at Speed

r3datom9

Hi Gents,

I recently picked up another V11 and after a couple of months I just noticed that it is surging a little at highway speeds.  Has a PC3 and custom tune, but don't think that would make a difference.

This might be happening at lower speeds too but I haven't noticed it.  

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

Thanks guys!

I bet I have a cracked rubber intake boot.  

One of them popped off a few weeks back, I went to up the bike and it ran like crap.  Shaking all over the place, I bet I damaged it putting it back on.  

Will have to check if the spare ones are any good still.

The relays are all GEI if I remember correctly, not quite as good as OMRON versions but they should suffice.

Unplug the PC and perform a "Decent Tune-up."

Gives you a baseline to decide if there is anything really "wrong."

Surging is classic symptom of "TPS base-setting is out-of-spec".

• Like 1

So . . . every step in the Tune-up affects the others. They are all equally important. If you leave one out, all bets are off. The "Decent Tune-up" is a compendium of many peoples' efforts over the years and years. It is worth learning and doing.  As I recall, it is six basic steps including setting the CO Fuel Trim with guzzidiag, baselining the TPS with a quality voltmeter, adjusting the valves, balancing the throttle bodies , and drinking beer.

I could have one or two of those steps out of order . . .

These are the two most straight-forward starting points to baseline any V11.  Cost? About a hundred bucks US ($75 for the cables and about $20 for the relays. Add maybe a hundred bucks for a balancing tool like TwinMax or whatever.

The PC is obsolete. Your throttle body rubber blew because the throttle bodies are out of balance and the rest of the parameters are out of tune.

GEI are under rated and will not suffice. They fail. They are not up to the current demands in more than one location (#5, #2, and possibly #1). This is well established. The fact that under-rated relays contribute to running (and other issues) has been established unequivocally.

It is really do-able! If the Decent Tune-up and adequate relays do not solve the issues, you are in the right place!

:notworthy:  These guys take care of each other and our V11 ! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the vote of confidence!  

I am well trained wrencher, former Coast Guard mechanic, I think I got this.  

Just need to find the right carb tuner, there seems to be much debate on the interweb forums. 

Imagine that!  Hahaha

I remember being told by a respected Guzzi-guy that the digital devices would not hold up to the accuracy of mercury sticks (which I still use).

Over the luscious loins of a Coppa Italia, motowfo and I put this to rest.  The TwinMax will do the job.

Gonna go with the tune-up regardless.  I am not sure the last time it was done.  

I'm keeping the PC, it was dyno tuned after all the internal work and came with a custom map.  Seems foolish to do it all over again.

The previous owner was a great guy, but I don't know what maintenance he did and it is possible it hasn't been done since the bike was last put together by Moto International.    I think it has only had 5k or so on it since.  

How long does it usually take to notice the bike needs a tune/sync.

Get a breakout harness for the wiring going to the TPS. Search this site for “breakout” and “Casper’s electronics”

Makes the setting of the TPS WAY easier the first time, and will make it WAY easier to re-check periodically....

• Like 1

The service interval is 6,000 miles/ 10.000 km.

New plugs, valve adjustment, throttle body balance.

Once the CO Fuel trim is set, that's it. Generally, same for the TPS baseline, yet there are some vagueries that can cause it to drift over time/miles/hours of operation.

I have found that performing a good tune-up even at 4,000 miles is noticeable.  Much like tuning a musical instrument before each playing.

Get a breakout harness for the wiring going to the TPS. Search this site for “breakout” and “Casper’s electronics”

Makes the setting of the TPS WAY easier the first time, and will make it WAY easier to re-check periodically....

Cables here:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19612