Worn Rockers?

Guest Fonzarelli

Guest Fonzarelli

OK Guys,

At 561 miles on my LeMans' clock, I performed my oil change, oil filter change, screen clean, cylinder head retorque, and valve lash adjustment.

I noticed something interesting on the rocker tips. There seemed to be an unordinary amount of wear to the rocker tips to where they contact the valve stem. Certainly enough wear to notice a flat spot on all four rockers.

I checked the lash before disassembling the rockers from the head and found the lash to be about .004" intake and .005-.006" on the exhaust.

BTW, I have the lash currently set at .008" intake and .010" exhaust. the bike seems to run a little smoother.

Can anyone comment on this wear? Has anyone else noticed this?

Am I too anal retentive? (I think I already have that answer)

Yeah, you get that funny wear as the valves wobble because the valve stems have worn. Checking the clearance won't tell you anything about that wear either. If you pull the rockers off and see a kind of uneven or grooved surface, you're probably looking at a valve job.

Valve job at 561 miles? Not likely, really . . .

Of course here in lower middle Muletown we use the agricultural vehicle standard. If the motor blows too much smoke to see the sheriff's patrol behind you, it's time for a rebuild.

I agree. A valve job at such a low mileage is the least likely thing. The problem is, MG has a pretty spotty history of metal treatment of engine and transmission components so it isn't entirely impossible - which is pretty grim. Be thankful we don't have the hydraulic valve engines. They're suffering catastrophic failures and one reason that Ivan Beggio fired most of the MG engineers recently.

Same thing here.

I did mine at 570 miles a couple of weeks ago and was very surprised at the grooves already worn in the rockers. Having worked on bikes and cars with much bigger mileages, I wasn't expecting this.

But let's not worry. Yet.

Guest doublecat

hey

Im looking to buy this year....so I may have hydraulic rockers....should I be worrying????????????????????????????????????????

James

If you're looking to buy a V11 lemans or sport variant, then there's no need to worry. That model still uses solid lifters. If you're going to get an EV/Stone/etc variant, then the valve issue should be worked out shortly, and you still don't need to worry. Hey, its a win-win situation.

Jason