Airbox sensor

Admin Jaap

Guest rotorhead

I believe this is the air temperature sensor....I had one replaced recently as it was sending incorrect temp signals to the ECU and causing a VERY poor ride. I think these things are sensitive to inputs.......may require some protection from elements and bouncing around FWIW.

Jaap,

I also fitted K & Ns and fitted my air sensor in a 35mm film box, cutting the cover very carefully to install the sensor and then taping the sensor in place with black tape. I also taped the box closed for security.

No problem in over a year.

Regards and great site :pic:

Guest captain nemo

Mine is also zip tied back to the frame where it is still working. I just had a dyno tune and it seems to be supplying adaquate readings to the ECU.

Yep... it's an ambient temperature sensor, and you need it. Like others here, I have zip-tied it to my frame. It is probably best to put it as close to the intake filters as possible, so it can get a relatively accurate measurement of the air that is actually going into the engine.

My Ducati uses the exact same sensor, only it is mounted on the steering head, just behind and under the headlight bucket - again, this is close to where the ducati actually takes in air.

:rolleyes:

... heh, well I actually did zip-tie mine to the frame by the filters as well, but gently clamped a short piece of 1/2" fuel-line over it to protect it from elements a bit.

But, I'm liking the idea of the film cannister...hrmmm :nerd:

The sensor does seem fairly fragile, so I feel a bit nervous about leaving it out in the air unprotected, if at least only from my tools poking around :P

al

I don't think they are that delicate... as I mentioned, Ducati mounts the sensor right on the front of the bike with no protection at all (other than the headlight bucket, which is in front of it).

• 4 years later...

What does the computer do with the input from this sensor? I assume it adjusts advance and or fuel trim, but i don't know how it does this (does it adjust the TPS voltage going into the computer?) or in what direction it would correct them for an increase in temperature?

I do a lot of riding in the city, so i really want to get mine out from under the tank where it is soaking in heat and reading higher than the actual intake air temp.

If I brought it out to the ducati position near the headlight it would sense ambient temperature. I assume the Ducati airbox draws air from the same location, which would make this an accurate reading.

In theory, since I have pod filters I would want it right next to one of the pods so it indicates closer to the actual intake air temp (which would be lower on the highway and higher in the city).

I have foam filters, but if I had K&N's I could mount it in the chrome end plate so that it read the actual temp and looked a little better.

What does the computer do with the input from this sensor? I assume it adjusts advance and or fuel trim, but i don't know how it does this (does it adjust the TPS voltage going into the computer?) or in what direction it would correct them for an increase in temperature?

It's more or less pure mathematics with ancient physical algebra. Warmer air has less density. To keep the air/fuel ratio (by weight) constant, the ECU must inject less fuel at warmer temperature (and also at higher altitude, for the same reason).

Sadly, our bikes, like any normal aspirated engines, will perform their very best at temperatures so low we don't dare using it :angry:

An exemple of remedy for the problem is a charger like this one :grin: