Ohlins Shock Preload Adjuster Location

wow. great photos, and an amazing amount of work. dare I ask how much $$ you've got invested in the suspension makeover?

....you can ask, but..... <_>

:rolleyes:

Naw, but seriously.... several of us got a "gun runners" deal on the forks from some spooky shady fella's trunk in Italy :P No really, honestly :unsure:

We got them for about $1100

And then I bought Mike Stewart's Ohlins from him, as he was nice enough to offer it to me when he realized he wasn't going to have time to utilize it right away. I just paid him what he paid EMA, which is right at $900, including the new spring installed.

So, since Mike Stewart made my new front spacer for free, and the new axle was about $60 if I recall, and about $10 for bearings.... well, let's just say $2100 for the whole deal.

And yeah, my spring is the 85kg spring. Is it too heavy? I don't know, as I don't really have anything to compare it to, other than the OEM Sachs. But I can say it's a lot more compliant/supple with the new Ohlins.

Mike ordered the shock with this spring rate, based on his experiments with the Penske and Sachs rebuild. He weighs about the same as I, so I dunno... it seems to work. But I'm always interested to hear more if other rates might be better?? :huh2:

...the springs are pretty cheap after all.

al

• 1 year later...

I think the location on the rosso corsa is a little better than yours AL.

On the supertwin it is between rear frame & fairing so protected for the dust. :helmet:

On the daytona i have a rear hugger that protected the shock and the absorber from the dust too :luigi:

Are you sure than in such place with a sand bag on the rear seat it will not hurt the swing arm or the hugger ?

I think the location on the rosso corsa is a little better than yours AL.

On the supertwin it is between rear frame & fairing so protected for the dust.  :helmet:

On the daytona i have a rear hugger that protected the shock and the absorber from the dust too  :luigi:

Are you sure than in such place with a sand bag on the rear seat it will not hurt the swing arm or the hugger ?

46686[/snapback]

hrmmm..... OK :huh2:

:D

It doesn't look like it could hit the hugger under extreme suspension travel, although it is hard to tell from the photo and without testing.

Question though: It appears that the fella that mounted the adjuster behind the helmet lock used a custom bracket?? Or did he just use longer bolts? It's hard to tell from the photo.

I forgot som important facts:

- The small metal plate which is carrying the helmet holder was bended outwards.

- The original helmet holder screws were drilled out and replaced by "normal" longer ones.

- A third hole was drilled for the adjuster.

• 3 weeks later...