Bubbling Failing Tank Paint

Well, this is interesting... although I was expecting it.

...it looks like I'll be getting my tank replaced under warrantee after all, and it has nothing to do with my wasted fuel project.

I'll take a photo later this evening, but here's the description:

A while back I saw someone on this forum, or perhaps on Wildguzzi, post a photo of their red Rosso Mandello tank, where the paint was lifting off on the left knee tank cut-out, about the size of a half-dollar. It looked a bit bubbled, and cracked under the clear-coat, and had split(the paint not the tank) at the crack, and was coming off in a pretty uniform disc.

Well, a few months back(before I did any modification to the tank) I noticed that there was an odd "crevasse"... looked like a canal on Mars :P ... up under the clearcoat on my tank, in the same location as the one that I saw on the RM mentioned above. So, knowing the likelihood of what was coming, I called my dealer and let them know that a new tank was probably in order.

...and I've kept an eye on it, and reminded them a couple times that it's gotten worse.... that is, although very very gradual, the "crack" has become more prominent.

Well, sometime in the last day or two, as the tank sat on my driveway in the Sun, then cold evenings, the crack has finally erupted through the clearcoat.

Now that there is a real crack in the paint, I'd give it no more than a few weeks before it starts coming off :unsure: ...ah well.

I'll post a photo tonight or tomorrow. Since I never had the infamous "tank suck" problem, I just attribute this to faulty paint, and perhaps a thin and overly flexible part of the tank :huh2:

The only drawback, is that I'll have to redo my tank piercing upon receiving a new tank, and reapply the heat-shielding. Of course, having done it once, it's just an evening's work, but *sigh*

al

The tank seems to be wedged down over the side covers at the rear lower corners. This certainly contributes to cracking the side covers and I wonder how much strain it projects up along that area of the knee cut-outs.

It's easy to shim the back of the tank up with a couple fender washers under the main mounting point. I used a steel one and a rubber one to add 50 or 60 thousandths (maybe 2mm).

It's a little more difficult to lower the airbox by slotting the rear airbox mounting brackets and sliding the whole airbox/ sidecover assembly down and back to create clearance under the tank.

This procedures definately save sidecovers and, who knows, may be a valuable step in saving the tank finish.

...could be related, who knows :huh2:

Here are some photos. Unfortunately, they didn't turn out in such a way that really shows how it looks during the day in natural light. During the daylight, the center of the crack is deep enough to be black in shadow... an actual crack in the paint. In these photos, it looks more like the "crevasse" that has been under the clearcoat for the last couple months.

But it gives you the general idea. In the case of the Rosso Mandello's tank, the crack was almost identical if my recollection is correct. However, it was in a more advanced state and had progressed to the point where the paint had lifted off on both sides of the crack. I suspect mine will exhibit this behavior over time.

bubbling_tank_paint4.jpg

So, Al, it's unfortunate that your tank is dying, but think about the opportunity available to you now: you can use your old tank to do "more intensive" research into the fuel equalization problem, without having to ensure it's always in functional condition. I'm sure this has already occurred to you, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of your excellent opportunity. :thumbsup:

So, Al, it's unfortunate that your tank is dying, but think about the opportunity available to you now: you can use your old tank to do "more intensive" research into the fuel equalization problem, without having to ensure it's always in functional condition. I'm sure this has already occurred to you, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of your excellent opportunity. :thumbsup:

...indeed, that is very true :D , and one of the reasons that I wasn't terribly reticent to cut into the tank in the first place.... since I knew this was most likely going to happen ^_^

But naw, I'm not upset about it. I am bit disappointed that the paint failed, just from a Guzzi QA standpoint, but it's not a big deal.

But keep in mind, that unless my dealer just forgets about it, they'll require the old tank back.... it's hit and miss that way, whether they require keeping the defective part, but I'll cross my fingers this time that I can keep the tank.

:)

al

Well, Moto Italiano submitted my warantee claim... or are doing so as I write this... so we'll see how long it takes :unsure:

If it's anything like my fairing, I should look for the part in oh.... about 8 months :rolleyes:

al

P.S.

I checked on the status of my engine case replacement, and MGNA is telling them that they have most of the kit, but a few "key pieces" are on back-order. MI hasn't even started ONE case replacement yet, and they were supposed to back in December *sigh* Good thing this is only a cosmetic issue(in both examples :D )

You've got me checking my tank carefully in the light. Any green ones doing this?

Ciao, Steve G.

Fugedaboudit :!: :luigi: This kinda stuff only happens to little Al's bike... it's caused from lack of use. :nerd:

Guest carlomoto
You've got me checking my tank carefully in the light. Any green ones doing this?

Ciao, Steve G.

I sure as heck hope not -- I love my green tank.

I love my bike.

Guest carlomoto

Ciao, Steve G.

Forgedabouit :!: :luigi: This kinda stuff only happens to little Al's bike... it's caused from lack of use. :nerd:

:doh: