MPG?

Guest squiddysquid

I'm usually pretty good with unit conversions but translating mpg to km/l makes my head swim. And 'Imperial galons?' How are they relative to USG?

My Sport is down to 33 mpUSg from 37.5 in the warmer months.The fuel light gives a little glow at 135 miles.

It was once noted that colder temperatures really increase fuel consumption on the stock mapping. I've also noticed that riding is less frequent in winter leading me to be MUCH more exhuberant with the throttle. :bike:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian Robson

Kudos to you Dave with that mileage at those speeds. I am with Docc on his mileage figures, and this has remained so since break in of the engine. Wish I could get 353Km on a tankful.

Are those Imperial Kilometers or the metric kind? :lol::lol::lol:

Guest squiddysquid

I like to let pedestrians & car/truck drivers know I am near by setting off car alarms along the way...another benefit of aftermarket pipes.

If memory serves right, a U.S. gallon is about 3.8 Liters (3.78?).

I have to throw in my 2 imperial cents. ^_^

I usually see anywhere from 23-27 MPG (around 8.5-10 l/100km) in town (and I mean seriously in town; no freeway at all, rarely above 50 MPH/80 km/h, lots of stop lights). I usually see anywhere from 30 to 40 MPG (6-8 l/100km) out of town, on country roads or freeways. The highest I've ever seen was around 43 MPG (5.5 l/100km).

You can see a chart of my gas mileage numbers from the first fill up to late last year here:

Ian's Le Mans gas mileage (and kilometerage)

Why? Because I'm a nerd. :nerd:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rich Fernandez

I purchased a new 2002 Scura several weeks ago and my mileage has varied dramatically. No modifications yet. From Flagstaff to Phoenix, the bike went about 140 miles before the indicator light went on. Today, after having ridden around town only and rarely exceeding 4000 rpm, I put in 4 u.s. gallons with 86.4 miles on the trip meter. I should mention that it has had its 1000 service and Flagstaff is at 7000 feet. I am puzzled and sure hope that the mpg increases. Most of my miles are city riding and it is difficult to keep rpms higher.

Rich Fernandez

Best tank so far on my '02 Lemans was about 43 mpg, worst tank probably 32 mpg(it does not like cold weather mpg-wise). Generally though, I average right around 38-39 mpg. Completely stock bike performance-wise, by the way. :mg:

Guest callithrix

My 2003 Lemans with fbf intake, fbf cans and fbf Hi comp-pistons with stucchi x-over averages 33mpg with 1700milies on the clock. Map is little lean and I tend to stay in the 5k rpm range with mixed city and hiway driving. I too am a little dismayed by the mileage; it gets the mpg same as my car. I hope it improves with some more miles on the clock. Those fbf pistons sure do wonders for the midrange though. :bike:

My 2003 Lemans with fbf intake, fbf cans and fbf Hi comp-pistons with stucchi x-over averages 33mpg with 1700milies on the clock. Map is little lean and I tend to stay in the 5k rpm range with mixed city and hiway driving. I too am a little dismayed by the mileage; it gets the mpg same as my car. I hope it improves with some more miles on the clock. Those fbf pistons sure do wonders for the midrange though. :bike:

Have you tested "total tank range" on your 2003 yet BTW?

I am really interested in this... but haven't heard of anyone reporting good stats on the range offered by the in-tank fuel-pump models :huh2:

al

Guest callithrix

No and I'm equally interested to find out how much the tank loses to displacement caused by the fuel pump. On my trip to St. Monica the fuel light would go on when I had used 3-3/12 US gallons. I've been tempted to check range but I don't look forward to pushing 530lb with full leathers on. I uasually got about 90 miles city and 120-135 miles hiway before the fuel light went on. By the way thanks for the tip on the Kisan installation. Also how do like your KN filters any problems? :nerd:

Hmmm, I get about 110 US miles before my light flickers, but I also get about 34ish MPG.

BTW, 1 US gallon = 0.833 Imperial gallons = 3.785 L = 0.024 barrel of oil = 757 US teaspoons. :nerd:

J

i get over 120 mi solid out of a tank.  i haven't tried to run it dry yet though.

I hope you mean 120miles "solid" before the light comes on :o ....otherwise, that's awful mileage.

I've put nearly 180 miles on a tank at the extreme, but of course that's well after the light was at full "power" :P

To me, any modern bike with notions of any type of "touring" should be able to get ~200 miles out of a tank, and certainly no less than 150.

al

No and I'm equally interested to find out how much the tank loses to displacement caused by the fuel pump. On my trip to St. Monica the fuel light would go on when I had used 3-3/12 US gallons. I've been tempted to check range but I don't look forward to pushing 530lb with full leathers on. I uasually got about 90 miles city and 120-135 miles hiway before the fuel light went on. By the way thanks for the tip on the Kisan installation. Also how do like your KN filters any problems? :nerd:

Ahh, well if you observe more... please let us know. I continue to be curious.

I'm hoping that we can get at least 180-200 miles total out of the 2003 tank under ideal conditions.

As far as the K&N filters, yeah I love them! Who knows if they really make an performance difference, but they sound cool B) ..... and they allowed me to ditch the airbox, which I think is a big plus(just for under tank logistics alone).

I like my big cylindrical K&Ns better versus the smaller conical ones, as they seem to have more surface area and incorporate the intake plenum into the filter itself.

They also fit PERFECTLY behind my side covers, which I really like. The only reason the covers are off now is that I prepped the bike for the motor rebuild, and just figured I'd get them out of the way for the dealer. No sense in leaving them on, just to get broken, or be in the way ^_^

al

3 to 31/2 gallons before the low fuel light comes on is what I have been averaging. I have not been checking miles per gallon as the bike is still being broken in and I tend to ride at all different speeds and revs. It is somewhere in the low to mid-thirties range but I expect that to improve over time. Since I took delivery of my LeMans on December 30th all of my riding of course has been in cold weather, and in the midwest the winter blend of fuel is not noted for giving you the best mileage either. I look for vast improvement by this summer...hopefully.