MPG?

Guest squiddysquid

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a trip to St. Joe, MO yesterday to visit a new Guzzi dealer there (Jackson motorcycles). Nice tail wind on the way down of probably 15-30 mph. I got ~43 mpg on the way down there, almost all highway/interstate miles. On the way back, riding into that same wind, I got ~33 mpg, again highway and interstate mostly. Amazing what a little wind can do :blink:

p.s. Jackson motorcycles was great!!! Nice little shop, 10 new Guzzis on the floor with a good selection of the Guzzi line. Lots of accessories, helmets, apparel, etc. well worth a trip if you are in the St. Joe area. :mg:

2000 V11 Sport with 8000 miles (only 800 by me).

Averaging 38mpg, 135 miles to the orange light when it will take 16/17 litres to fill, just as well i'm being to get into its ways and enjoying the ride or it would be getting traded.

By way of comparison our Thunderbird averages 55mpg and the better halfs SV650 does 55mpg both two up travelling around the national speed limit of 60/70mph on a mix of open roads and over the hills of Scotland.

To be fair the Guzzi is ridden solo, the better half tried pillion once but her legs were cramped, and a little more enthusiastically than the other two.

Following comments from an earlier thread most of my running has been in the 4000/5000 rpm range, I'm trying to keep the revs below 4000 on the current tankfull to see what difference it makes,if any.

Will post again when I have the results.

Guest Thundering Subash

:nerd: Thought I'd chime in on this topic as well. For the amount of power these bikes make (not a lot) they vary quite a bit and don't do particularly well in the mileage category. I average anywhere from the high 20's in town to the mid 40's on the highway. I have to admit, though, they have soul and are a joy to ride. By comparison, I drove a loaner Triumph 955 RS for 3 weeks last summer, and it consistently got 46 mpg (seemingly no matter how I drove it). Very nice bike, but alas, like most bikes, it lacked the character of the goose. :bike:

BTW, In terms of riding condition and style, I would estimate the 46 mpg I saw on the Triumph would compare to about 34 mpg on my Lemans.

:mg::wub:

note: currently my odometer is at 120 miles after filling up, and my check engine light has yet to come on.

-Chris

:thing:

Fuel consumption update.

Covered 107 miles behaving myself by keeping the revs below 4000rpm, okay a few higher bursts, over mixed roads. Fuel used 11 litres, 9.73 miles per litre or 44.25 miles per imperial gallon(4.55 litres).

Keeping the revs low should give 150/160 miles to the orange light.

Not likely to be driven like that again but usefull to know if caught short on petrol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest steveguzzi

2002 LeMans fuel update

I get 43-44 mpg (Imperial) on 6000 mile Guzzi, riding at 80 -120 MPH where possible. Riding BMW K100's at similar speeds and in similar way, never got less than 48 mpg and usually over 50.

The low fuel light stays on permanently around 155 miles and I know I can get 180 miles with 18.7 litres to fill it, without slowing down. All of which is OK but not brilliant. Just the price to pay for riding this bike :mg:

Steve

• 2 months later...
Guest Rich Fernandez

Thought I'd follow up on Scura mileage. I now have over two thousand miles on the bike. My last ride went 160 highway miles prior to the indicator light coming on. Filled up with just less than 3.9 US gallons. So 41 mpg. Rich Fernandez :sun:

Guest jerroldt

I seem to consistantly get 43 mpg on my Le Mans with normal riding. I have developed a habit of filling up every time the speedometer rolls up on the next 100 mile mark (except when on trips). I always use premium and it is a bargain since I ride the bike so much that I seldom take the car anymore unless it is raining or I have to haul other people.

This morning I topped off my tank with 4.95 US gal. of 87 octane gasoline, after running 195.6 miles for 39.5 mpg. I'm sure I could have cracked 200 miles, but the next station was a bit too far down the road to continue. This was after several days of steady/moderate highway miles back and forth to work, 65-75 mph in 6th gear. I recall the light starting to glow around 155-160 miles. This is with total bike mileage of 1950 miles.

On my last interstate transit, I averaged nearly 90 mph from Maine to NY and got better mileage than usual. I have noticed that my mileage gets better with the RPM at 4500-5000. Do you all think mileage is related to the "flat spot" in the HP curve? Does it indicate that the engine or FI works less efficiently there? Does that explain why I get worse mileage at or near the speed limit in 6th gear, why we all get such varying mileage figures? (My bike also wears a R90S fairing.)

On my last trip to Maine, I kept some records. The average was 39mpg (16.6 Km/L). This is averaged over 3000 miles (I have 14000 on the bike now). Speed is generally 75-80 mph, mostly 6th gear so 46-4700rpm. I run premium. Mostly highway, but quite a bit of secondary roads. The best I got was 48 mpg (strong tailwind in Ontario), the worst was 28 (spirited mountain road).

I'll report all this in a better format when I write up this trip. May be a couple weeks, though.

Jason

I used to get about 35 mpg on my Rosso but that is Canadian mpg - about 30 US mpg. I also ride hard and rarely cruise in 6th gear - more often 4th or 5th because I prefer to keep the revs to 5000 minimum. After installing 11:1 pistons I now get mid 40's under the same condition (I also have Mistrals, PC III and airbox mods but they came first and didn't have much effect on fuel consumption). The bike really isn't any faster in a straight line but is immensely more responsive. I need 94 octane to ride aggressive but can survive 91 octane if I watch manifold pressure.