MPG?

Guest squiddysquid

I have just had a loook at the fuel consumption for the recent trip to the Midlands rally.

This reflects long runs with fairly high speeds. The bike also had wide panniers that caught a lot of wind.

145 miles was the biggest distance on a tank. I reckon it was running on fumes then.

Over an almost 500 mile / 800 Km section:

38.81 imp mpg

32.84 US mpg

8.54 mpL

13.74 KpL

JO'S, also on a Scura (but with K&N pods and a higher mileage engine) consumed a litre less petrol over one of the 'tankfull' distances between fill-ups. That might have been due to different riding styles, my newer engine, my heavier, less aerodynamic panniers....

& Baldini, also on a Scura recorded less mileage between the same fill-up distance. That may have been due to different lines on the road, different height of tyres (rolling circumference)...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bruce

My light comes on solid at 150mile/250KM all back roads and my milage is about 35MPG. Others who are getting similar milage are seeing the light ( to coin a phrase ) any where from 110-120. Makes you wonder if variations in the sensors are a significant.

Don't you just hate to see that thing come on.

A little off topic I had to run some low test gas last weekend when I saw the light in a remote corner of Vermont and it ran fine. No ping, even with the hotter plugs I'm running.

I'm getting 38-40 mpg and have been filling at 130-150 miles without seeing the light (why wait?). k

• 2 weeks later...
I average about 120 miles out a tank, the most ever was 153 keepin her under 65mph

Wow, that's really bad mileage. Are you going by the fuel-warning light as being "empty"??

Because on average it seems for most of us 120-140miles is where we've consistently seen the low-fuel light come on, and if so in reality you still have a 1-2 gallons at that point.... probably closer to 1.

You have an '02, so you should have 5.69 gallon total capacity.

Each bike and it's fuel sensor is probably a bit different in sensitivity, so you should try to measure how much fuel is left once your light comes on full bright... but I'd bet you have about a gallon, and then after it "runs dry" still about 100 ounces "trapped" on the right side of the tank that you can "milk" to get down the road a mile or three via the "sloshing" method.

Some threads you may find interesting on the topic.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...uel%20pump&st=0

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...59&hl=tank&st=0

al

I am getting 5.93km / 100 litres (std way of measuring this in EU now?) = 16.9 km/l on a brand new V11 Ballabio - I just hit 1000km over the weekend.

I got up to 320km on one tank and took 18.2l to refill - this suggests that the useable volume is more than the 4.7 gal (US) posted on the old "range" posts from the previous forum topics.

The warning light comes on (going uphill!) at about 250km, but for real at about 270-280km.

In imperial this equates to 39.6 mpg (US) or 47.5 mpg (UK), which seems not to bad and gives a total range of 350km if I could stuff in all 5.5 gal (20.7 litres)

:bike:

I will try the TPS setting/tuning and perhaps PCIII route, but more for power/smoothness than the economy (which seems to match my seat/butt interface limit quite well :blink: )

cheers. Jonathan.

I've generally gotten about 41-44 mpg on either the Sport 1100i or the V11 Sport during the summer. This is for a commute that has about 30 miles of fairly consistent driving speeds (total round trip is 106 miles of which 20 is in the city). In the winter, it drops significantly but never below 38 mpg. Go out and whack the throttle a bunch in a nice twisty road and I can expect 35-40 mpg (I don't ride that hard). Get on a freeway and drone along at constant speed and I've seen 51 mpg @ 79 mph several times.

I have a 2003 V11 Sport. The Le Mans faring probably has an impact on performance.

When I first got my bike the fuel economy was terrible. It improved considerably after I'd driven about 1,000 or 1,500 miles.

I usually fill the tank when the reserve light comes on. Fill-up amount is about the same, as is mileage:

3.9 US gallons (about 14L) gets me around 140 miles (about 225km).

I'll echo that, Charles. When the yellow light comes on I normally fill 15 litres in the tank, which means another 225-230 km have been covered. I drive both through town (50-60 kmp/h) and on the highway (130kmp/h >) and cover 110 km per day.

Søren

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roadslayer
:bier: After buying my '02' Lemans in the summer of '03' I read on this site about a guy who bought one in Seattle and was getting 25 mpg and thought 'holy cow' what have I bought? My mpg from new was about 40 mpg and now is around 44,47 mpg on trips. My bike now has 3700 miles on it and is ridden on open curves,if that makes any sense. The fellow that made the entry about lousy fuel milage sounds like he rode in downtown Seattle and hadn't been on any trips and his bike had 40 miles on it. "Cheers" Roadslayer

That was probably me. I don't ride in downtown downtown, but in the north end between 105th and 45th. I had more than 40 miles, but I also didn't take any long trips for the first few thousand miles. My "high average" fuel mileage is about 37 MPG, and the very best I've ever seen is 44. My overall running average is about 29 MPG these days. I have a Ninja 250 for the in-town stuff, and the lowest it ever goes is 45 MPG. I basically don't think too much about the Le Mans' mileage any more (partially because it still annoys me). I suspect that you weigh less than me, and you're probably gentler on the throttle. I can get better mileage if I ride gently, but that isn't why I got the bike.

Because I am a DEEP_GEEK, I've got my fuel mileage graph available online: Fuel mileage graph

Nice to see some honest fuel mileage reports there. I feel that some of the claims other people are giving are all selected from their high figures and the low ones ignored. Here is a gentleman who shows all the up and downs of his fuel mileage and the overall average. It looks a lot like the numbers I get when I bother to check except I can get the low results without anyone having to drain off a gallon.

Cheers to IanJ!!!!!

Guest Graham in NZ

I'm with those of you who get 225 to 250km on level ground before the warning light comes on and stays on.

Does anyone know for sure the fuel volume of bikes up to 2002 and of the later bikes, which seem to have slightly bigger tanks? The tanks on the later bikes seem a bit "fuller" in shape above the top of the knee scallops.

I think ]my 2001 bike holds about 20.5 litres and when the light comes on fully it takes about 16.5 litres, making the reserve about 4 litres.

Graham

My "review" on Pashnit.com reports the similar mileage, as well as on here in past MPG threads ... ^_^

High 20s around town, low 40s under "ideal" circumstances... such as down-hill, tail-wind, or highway-droning :P ... on average, probably low-mid 30s :bike:

I think most folks have been "honest" :D

al