Conversions

Steve G.

Er, so, 38 miles per Imperial gallon is about 32 miles per US gallon?

I thought the difference between an Imperial gallon and a US gallon is 20 ozs verses 16 ozs. If this is the case, then the figures above should be 40 mpg to 32 mpg.

Better idea to have pint of beer in an English pub than a US one (and it tastes better, too!). :bier:

BTW my V11 has a KM speedometer so I'm totally confused  :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest, what happens at MOT time?

When I had a Ducati with only mph on the clock I had to change the face to a euro friendly one that also had kph on it. Does the MOT accept a kph clock, although we actually use mph in reality? Preumably there is a secondary mph scale on your clock?

Re spedo's at MOT time - a quick look at the inspection check list that came back with my last MOT test (on a car) the collum for motor cycles where it meets spedos has an N/A in it as for cars only class v vehicles have a ref (6.8)

There for I assume that its not a test requirement. Though Construction and Use regs say you have to have one. The exact requirement differs with type of vehicle and date of first registration.

I believe that there are new requirements comming in this year, along the lines of the increment of the display and the accuracy- no longer aloud to under read. Stand by for draconian speed enforcement :(:pic: :!:

NB for those who didn't know - MOT - is the annual Ministry of Transport inspection of vehicles and is a requirement on the 3rd aniversary of registration for motorcycles: cars and light vans

As for metrication. I would rather buy my bannanas by the inch, but i don't know to measure along the inside or outside of the bend. I suppose it depends if you're buying or selling

Belfastguzzi - i like your topical avtar of the scales

- but if you everchange it for another thread...

I intend keeping it for a while. I thought it was not just topical to this thread, but representative of good old Moto Guzzi values.

I think I might have to strip out all those metric fittings and replace them with Whitworth. As for other modifications: I've got some cast iron sink brackets that I'm sure would make a fine pannier rack.

In relation to MOT:

the kph scale might be just a regulation in N.I. and not in G.B. - yet.

We can't get MOTs done in local garages. Have to go a purpose built government MOT test centre. At the end of last year the backlog was 6 to 9 weeks! the result is that one in four cars here are being driven without MOT certificates, which means their insurance policy is invalidated. Pretty bad.

BTW my V11 has a KM speedometer so I'm totally confused  :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest, what happens at MOT time?

When I had a Ducati with only mph on the clock I had to change the face to a euro friendly one that also had kph on it. Does the MOT accept a kph clock, although we actually use mph in reality? Preumably there is a secondary mph scale on your clock?

Yes it does have a secondary MPH scale - but working out distances involves a bit of mental arithmetic :homer: