dry clutch rattle

Guest geezerx

Guest geezerx

The Situation:

Just picked up my bike saturday after the tranny/conn rod recall work was completed. The tech who worked on it made a comment about the clutch rattleling. His comment was that the other MG's they had delt with did not rattle like this. However, they are a new dealership with less than one year of experience with MG. The rattle seems to me to be the same as it was before he performed the recall work.

The History:

Purchased the bike used with around 8,000 miles on the clock. I seem to remember that when I first got the bike there was a faint clutch rattle when the clutch lever was pulled in but not when the clutch lever was released in neutral. Unlike my Duc which rattleled when the clutch lever was released in neutral.

The clutch was replaced last summer at around 15,000 miles due to oil saturation from a tranny seal leak. Some time after that service I realized that the clutch was now rattling when the lever was released. This work was performed by an experienced and well rated MG mechanic so I figured it to not be a big deal as I had experienced this sound for years with a Monster dry clutch.

The Question:

Would anyone please input as to what might or might not be appropriate clutch sound? <_<

There has been recent discussion here of the various clutch rattles. Yours is probably as normal as everyone else's.

One difference is the 2002 bikes with a single plate, which rattle in neutral with the clutch engaged whilst the double plates rattle when clutch is disengaged.

Guest geezerx

Thanks for the reply. I should have done a search. :homer:

But, still I have a question. It seems that the rattle in my clutch has at some point changed and is now opposite of the norm for dual-plates. :wacko:

My dual-plate clutch rattles when it is engaged (lever released) in neutral and not when it is disengaged (lever pulled). Should I be concerned??

The clutch on my 03 rattles like a bucket of bolts when it's pulled in...I think it's a single plate. It makes enough of a racket that people next to you take notice when you are stopped at a traffic light. I interpret this as part of the character of my LeMans, I just hope it holds together. :mg:

I should have done a search.

But, still I have a question. It seems that the rattle in my clutch has at some point changed and is now opposite of the norm for dual-plates.

I tried a quick search but couldn't find the thread, otherwise I would have put a link in.

Someone with more knowledge will post in a while. I don't suppose the clutches are interchangeable? Are you sure you got the right one?

Guest geezerx
I don't suppose the clutches are interchangeable? Are you sure you got the right one?

I checked the invoice for the previous clutch work. The parts listed are for a dual-plate. That dealer has since gone out of buisiness so no way to talk to him personally.

Tommorrow I'll call the guy that did the recall work and pick his brain a little. This issue was already present prior to the recall work. I just didn't give it a thought untill he mentioned it yesterday when I picked up the bike.

The clutch on my 03 rattles like a bucket of bolts when it's pulled in...I think it's a single plate. It makes enough of a racket that people next to you take notice when you are stopped at a traffic light. I interpret this as part of the character of my LeMans, I just hope it holds together. :mg:

Under normal circumstances, on a V11 Guzzi, if it rattles when the clutch lever is pulled, it's a dual-plate clutch(which is normal).... opposite if a single plate.

If the behavior is any different, such as geezerx's, then it's "abnormal". But does

abnormal = bad? I guess it depends, and I have no idea in this case. But I can say that his experience is in reverse to what is expected for a dual-plate.

Mik, I would be very surprised if you had the single plate unit. And I would count myself lucky not to receive one.... just one more thing "that wasn't broke" that Guzzi fiddled with IMHO :rolleyes:

After the various problems Guzzi had with the single-plate clutches on the cruisers(different than the V11 single plate clutches), and some reported on the various limited edition V11 Sports like the Tenni, Rosso Mandello, etc.... I don't think Guzzi is using anything but the tried and true dual-plate in the late models(2003+).

I don't recall any '03 or '04 models with the single-plate clutches. If any did, it would be the Rosso or Nero Corsa, but even they don't.

From the current specs online:

Clutch: Double discs, dry, with hydraulic command

al

Thanks for the info Al, I wasn't sure what type of clutch I have. This whole bike just has a life of it's own compared to my Daytona. IT'S ALIVE! There is some fairing shake and a little vibration but nothing there that makes me feel uncomfortable or nervous about it. When I roll the Triumph out for the first ride of the year, it's going to feel like the 'Concorde' I'm sure. The Guzzi does tend to grow on you though, I really like it more with every ride. :bike::bier:

I'm getting a shop manual for the LeMans this week. :luigi:

The Situation:

Just picked up my bike saturday after the tranny/conn rod recall work was completed. The tech who worked on it made a comment about the clutch rattleling. His comment was that the other MG's they had delt with did not rattle like this. However, they are a new dealership with less than one year of experience with MG. The rattle seems to me to be the same as it was before he performed the recall work.

The History:

Purchased the bike used with around 8,000 miles on the clock. I seem to remember that when I first got the bike there was a faint clutch rattle when the clutch lever was pulled in but not when the clutch lever was released in neutral. Unlike my Duc which rattleled when the clutch lever was released in neutral.

The clutch was replaced last summer at around 15,000 miles due to oil saturation from a tranny seal leak. Some time after that service I realized that the clutch was now rattling when the lever was released. This work was performed by an experienced and well rated MG mechanic so I figured it to not be a big deal as I had experienced this sound for years with a Monster dry clutch.

The Question:

Would anyone please input as to what might or might not be appropriate clutch sound? <_>

Something does not sound right or I am missing something? :huh2: With the clutch lever out, the clutch plates/plate are held against the flywheel by the pressure plate. When the clutch lever is pulled in, the clutch plate/s is released and can rattle on the splines. My 00 V11Sport had a rattle type noise (16,000 miles at idle) which to me was the input bearing making the noise (clutch lever released). When I took the bike in to have the transmission leak repaired, the trans locked up in 3rd gear while the bike was being road tested with dye in the transmission ( :homer: Recall). Well to make the story short, after the trans repair (every part replaced in the transmission and three months later) my noise with the clutch out is gone. To me (an auto tech. for 25+ years) the noise with the clutch lever out (released) was the input shaft bearing of the transmission.

Pete Roper where are you?

Mike

Guest geezerx

Geeezzzzzzeee, Mike. Yur startin' to scare me. :o;) But there does seem to be something amiss.

Discouraging, this will be the third time in less than nine months that the bike will be apart for tranny/clutch issues. :wacko:

Any thoughts as to why the Ducati clutch rattles opposite of the 2 plate MG clutch?

Mike, my single plate 2002 is still pretty new and it has rattled like this from day one. From what others with these clutches have said, that's just what they are like. Maybe someday I will have a look inside to see what's shaking: meantime I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Al and others have mentioned about these clutches not lasting the pace. That has surprised me as I am sure I read about the single plates being nearly indestructible. Weren't they mercilessly tested and stood up to all severe thrashings? The trouble is I can't remember where I read this. Maybe it came from Guzzi and was overblown publicity. However I wonder have they really been as bad as reported here, or is it just a few unfortunate cases?

Interestingly, from new, the gearbox snicked imperceptably into first gear. It was sheer delight. Since around 600 miles it has been rougher, clonkier. Hopefully that lovely smooth shift will come back again in time.

Guest geezerx

Another piece of the puzzle and maybe a big piece. :blush:

I forgot to mention that when I pull on the clutch lever, the ratteling stops almost immediately with almost no travel on the lever. If this were equatable to a car, I would say I probably took up the free travel.

Any chance I might be picking up this noise from the clutch activation mechanism??

Mike, my single plate 2002 is still pretty new and it has rattled like this from day one. From what others with these clutches have said, that's just what they are like. Maybe someday I will have a look inside to see what's shaking: meantime I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Al and others have mentioned about these clutches not lasting the pace. That has surprised me as I am sure I read about the single plates being nearly indestructible. Weren't they mercilessly tested and stood up to all severe thrashings? The trouble is I can't remember where I read this. Maybe it came from Guzzi and was overblown publicity. However I wonder have they really been as bad as reported here, or is it just a few unfortunate cases?

Interestingly, from new, the gearbox snicked imperceptably into first gear. It was sheer delight. Since around 600 miles it has been rougher, clonkier. Hopefully that lovely smooth shift will come back again in time.

..yeah it depends on who you ask :huh2:

But there is a distinction to be made between the cruiser single-plate clutches, and the single-plate units on the V11 Sport bikes. They are different.

The cruiser single-plate units are definitely junk(although I don't know why), and are being replaced under warantee in large numbers with the old dual-plate unit.

In regards to the single-plate unit on the V11 Sports, some shops/folks have said they've seen problems with premature wear, while others say they are fine. So who knows. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. I'd just keep an eye on it, and over time.... well, time will tell :D

al