Front Sag adjustment on V11 Sport

CoreyL

How Do,

I have a 2001 V11 Sport with the 40 mm inverted Marzocchi forks. I purchased and watched the "Suspension for Mortals" video course from Traxxion Dynamics (very educational). I went and checked my sag front and rear and found both ends to need a bit more pre-load. The rear Sachs-Boge unit is adjustable, but the front forks are not easily so. Has anyone dealt with this? Are stiffer springs available or is one forced to have spacers fabricated? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Corey Levenson

San Antonio TX

Are stiffer springs available or is one forced to have spacers fabricated?

Yes. And yes. The springs are definately the way to go if you weigh more than 150 pounds.

I'm 165 in street clothes and added 17mm to the spacer, then dropped the triple clamp 16mm to maintain weight on the front. It works *OK* but not an ideal set-up.

Are stiffer springs available or is one forced to have spacers fabricated?

Yes. And yes. The springs are definately the way to go if you weigh more than 150 pounds.

I'm 165 in street clothes and added 17mm to the spacer, then dropped the triple clamp 16mm to maintain weight on the front. It works *OK* but not an ideal set-up.

:homer::homer: Or you could install stiffer springs. :blink: It really depends on your weight. I went the long route which was very expensive. I sent my forks and shock off to be revalved and resprung but have not been happy since. What a nightmare trying to get the bike to ride like it was when new. The revalved/resprung stock suspension was way too stiff. $800.00 dollars down the tube! :homer: A revalve (for the 2nd time) for the front fork which was better but was still was tooooo stiff made the bike I loved run wide on rough roads. I changed the rear shock with a Penske and installed a Aprilli Showa front fork. The rear shock was way too stiff. I sent the Penske back (customer support very good) and with in three days, I had a shock to my specs. The bike still did not feel right. :angry: Very nervous at any speed. I installed a Ohlins front fork, which felt better but the bike still wondered and felt unstable. I lowered the rear shock length by 10mm. Whow what a difference.... The bike now feels much better than it has ever felt... :luigi:

So what the 00 Sport likes is the stock shock length and dislikes anything that makes the streering quicker. Man what a lesson! :homer:

Mike

Guest Brian Robson

I think the forks are a fine product. I weigh 185lbs, changed the fork oil to Bel Ray

5W to let the stanchions move easier, added 30 mls extra to each leg, pulled the forks up 2mm in the yokes, backed off the compression (always high on Italian suspension) and slowed the rebound down a little.

I love the handling which is much improved over bumpy roads and the front tyre doesn't cup.

The bikes are fine handling, and I think the suspension is more than adequate for the roads

Guest dkgross

Yo Brian..let me know if you take a trip to Seattle anytime, and I'll let ya play with MY front forks. They could probably use it!!

:)

Guest Brian Robson

My wife refuses to let me play with another mans forks since the last incident. But absolutely, I will let you know when I am down next time as long as Capt Nemo has not closed the border to me yet! :grin::grin:

Guest dkgross

:bike: hahah...We'll just keep our 'incidents' to ourselves, shall we??

I weigh around 165-170..so adjustments should be similar, I suppose.

Feel free to give me a buzz if you're in the area!!

I've been thinking about doing a 'tech day' kinda thing as well for us Seattle folks..Not sure I have all the tools we'd need..but, I'm guessing Nemo does

:luigi: