Heads Weep Oil Above Oil Fitting

al_roethlisberger

Well, pictures are worth a thousand words, so you may want to look at the photo below for reference before reading this(disregard the dual-plug conversion).

What I've noticed, and had corroborated with a long chat with Mike Rich, is that in two locations near the deck of the heads, oil gradually weeps and accumulates.

Since I've had my tank off frequently for the various projects I've done, I noticed the oil returning gradually in these crevices over time. It doesn't "leak" per se, and is only a very very gradual weep, but it is there after cleaning.

I initially called Mike Rich to see if perhaps there might be a defect in the welding of the relocated oil-supply when I had my heads converted to dual-plugs. However, after describing the location and type of weeping, he and I were relatively sure that it is instead the issue described below. Keep in mind though, he said that at any time he would be happy to look at the heads and reweld them as necessary free of charge if I suspected his work was faulty.

What he said was that at both these locations in the head, Guzzi inserts two soft-alloy plugs to seal the machining of the oil galleries. Over time, or sometimes right away, they tend to weep.

He's seen this for years, and it's nothing to worry about, as in his words.. "...they all do it".

But if it gets more pronounced, or is something that bothers you, the solution is as follows:

1) Take a small hole-punch, and lightly whack the end of the plug to seat and expand it more tightly

2) Clean the area with laquer thinner, or similar... then JB-Weld or Epoxy the area over the plug

This should stop the weeping.

Anyway, not a major issue, but just an FYI if it's something one notices and causes concern.

Hope that is informative.

al

head_close_up_labeled.jpg

:o Al, nobody cares it's a Motoguzzi, it's Italian , it's not a Yamasaki ! If you would ever start riding the bike instead of buying parts & polishing it , you would have found out a long time ago that they all do it.

Al, as much time as you spend here there is no way you could be doing any riding.

BACK AWAY FROM THE KEYBOARD! Go for a ride that's what it was made for :rasta:

....yeah yeah, but a keyboard is meant for riding?? :P

:lol:

heh, but I suspect you are correct ;)

...keep in mind though that my 8hr-a-day job consists of mostly sitting behind a keyboard, soooooo ... hence the plethora of posts :D

I've also been pretty busy with the "newish" house purchase from last year, and now that Summer is basically here, well.... not as much riding, but lots of "home improvement." ^_^ .... new sprinkler system, redwood arbor, basement door, and next a rear deck... and more. And I've still got to finish painting the kiddos' room :( Note time of post, 1am-ish.... my "down time" ^_^

Speaking of which, I have that photo I've been meaning to scan of me with "Al"... heh heh... need to get THAT one posted :rolleyes:

al

Except Laphroig.

especially that!

Taste like licking an ashe tray :vomit:

Try some Grappa instead,

cheap grappa tastes like a mixture of grape juice and kerosene

the expensive stuff is better :drink:

Guest Thundering Subash

It's good to see this post, as I was wondering about the same issue with my bike. Given other more significant issues with my bike during break-in, I wasn't too worried about his problem, but did wonder. I thought perhaps the very minor leakage was due to a need to re-torque the heads (which I didn't bother to do when I did the first valve adjustment). :mg:

:bike::luigi::bike::luigi::bike::luigi::bike::luigi::bike::luigi::bike::grin:

Except Laphroig. :drink:

Cheers,

J

Lap-frog has always impressed me more as a *subtle* blend of gear oil and gunowder. For me, that's good thing! :drink::drink:

Excuse me for noticing this talk of the holy water. I am a serious enthusiast of single malt, and all it's history. Seeing as it is St.Patricks Day, should not Irish Red Breast Whiskey be more appropriate? Laphroig reminds me of a burnt down house.

Ciao, Steve G.

In under the rocker cover there are two allen wrench screws. These are infact caps and when removed allow direct acess from above to the head bolts that sit below the spark plug and the oil feed line. To ensure correct sealing they are fitted with o rings if you are the type that retensions heads or Antonino at the factoey got a bit enthusastic with them the oring can be damages and thus leak. They are usally pretty tight however when doing them up remeber what you are screwing it into and firm without been overly enthusiastic is all they really need. Workshop manaul probally has a torque setting for them.

Unusual torque settings..... fit flogging spanner XXXX, three blows from the average sized man with a 8lb sledge hammer should be suffcient. The device in question is the propeller on a Wirraway aircraft WWII vintage trainer.