What Stand do I need?

Guest Apexlocator

Guest Apexlocator

I would like to change my own oil on my V11 LeMans. What stand do I need? Are the Pit Bulls generic? Before my dealer "sells" me something, thought I'd ask.

You don't need a stand to change your oil. The pan comes off without removing the side stand. I only removed the pan for my first oil change. At that time I swapped the filter over to a Mobil 1 filter for which I had a socket that fits. By the way an M18 hex nut fits that little manhole cover. You should have one of those on your rear axle.

I'm thinking about buying that Craftsman lift Bob Villa has been advertising.

...yeah a neighbor has one of those lifts for his HD, and really loves it. I thought about buying one, but I've gotten so used to using the MG stand now, there's no need.

Plus I had concerns about putting the weight of the bike on the sump.

OSH had the stands(motorcycle/jetski lifts) clearanced a few months back for like $99.

al

Mobil M1-102 fits fine. It's about $10 and one of the highest rated. The M1-103 fits shallow sump bikes like the Covert and G5. There is a socket that fits the filter available at most auto parts stores for under $5

Guest Gary Cheek

Thanks for the heads up . It looked like it would, I was just waiting to hear from someone who ahd used the Mobil One filter .

I'll probably bite the bullet and make a wrench to fit the Mobil filter . Can't have non matching oil filter wrenches ;) !

Guest Gary Cheek

Metal Model Maker, I build concept cars for one of the big two US car makers ;) A lot of metal panel beating ,not much machine time at work . We give the apprentices most of the "toolmaker"type stuff.

BUT ,I have a lathe and Bridgeport here at home. They take up enough room for two more bikes but they pay their rent !

The Mobil 1 filter has 14 flats. The socket I bought back in '96 was under $5. Prior to that I had been using a strap wrench. Sometimes the filter would be so tight I would have to resort to a screwdriver. The first time I used a socket I thought, "Why did I not do this 10 years ago?" I had a Convert for 10 years prior to buying a California in '96. When I removed the first UFI filter on the LeMans I went to Auto Zone and bought a socket I thought would fit. It spun on the filter. Out came the screwdriver. It was still a pain. Laying down on the garage floor working under the bike. And that was after I removed the pan.

I was thinking about buying the "Bob Villa" lift but I think I would get more use out of the lift described in the Feb Guzzi newsletter.

I have a couple of oil filter sockets that I got at Pep Boys for the various configurations that Guzzi filters come in. I'm presently using Amsoil filters, and I bought the wrench from Pep Boys for $4 or so. They seem to have sockets that'll fit most Guzzi filters.

Windchill,

The only issue with the Guzzi stand, and others that lift on those mounts, is that it is pretty easy to gouge the aluminum pork chops if you dont fit the lift properly. Just be careful the first couple of times you use it, or don't worry about nicking the paint. Either strategy works.

J