Painting the tail part of a Rosso Corsa

biesel

Biesel,

I didn't know you had a Corsa. I just saw one down at MI and it was really beautiful. Wow. That paint job is pure Italian. How do you like it? It has the Ohlins I see. Same compression with the pistons? Same ECU?

hrmm, lemme try this again. I guess I blew up the forum a couple hours ago on my last attempt to reply :rolleyes:

First, and foremost, congratulations on the "upgrade" Biesel :bier:

Anyway, Enzo, to answer your questions... no the Rosso/Nero Corsa are mechanically identical to the "vanilla" 03/04 LeMans other than the Ohlins front and rear suspension.

And of course, cosmetically, it has the nifty checkerboard paint scheme and red valve-covers :sun:

The Cafe' Sport adds an Ohlins steering damper, but it won't fit the faired bikes(I've tried) so the Rosso/Nero retain the standard Bitubo damper.

Biesel, I was wondering about your question, then I remembered that the Rosso Corsa has the matte finished gray tail, with the checker-board and script laid on with decals. I didn't realize there wasn't a clear-coat, even if satin finished, covering these decals. That isn't the best design for durability IMHO if so.

So, I assume your question is in regards to prepping the surface to accept a clear-coat, so it would adhere reliably. Certainly sanding would bring a quick death to the decals, so that's not a good option.

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but I do have a suggestion. What I would do is call/visit a reputable paint shop and present the problem to them. They may have a way to prepare the surface without damaging the decals. After all, most decals are under clear-coat, so I'm sure there is a way :huh2:

I think the rear would look great with this solution BTW. Let us know how it goes!

al

Guest archie

Biesel-the one thing that let my Rosso Corsa down cosmetically was the tail section with its unlacquered decals. My plan was to clearcoat over them, but I ended up removing them altogether and replacing them exactly in paint. This involves much scalpel work with masking tape of course, but allows you to redraw the 'a' of 'Corsa', which in the Guzzi version could be read as an 'a', 'e' or 'o'. I finished with several coats of acrylic, cut back with rubbing compound.

If you do clearcoat the existing graphics, I'd suggest you start by removing the tail unit and degreasing (I use lighter fluid) and carefully flatting the main areas (not the decals) with 8oo grit wet or dry paper used wet. I'm pretty sure aerosol acrylic lacquer will be OK over the decals if you build up the coats gradually and only finish with a full wet coat. You could try isolating one of the stickers by masking and test with a light spray of lacquer.

Hope this helps-Archie.