Why two Drain Plugs?

Guest Apexlocator

Guest Apexlocator

On my '03 V11 LeMans I have two drain plugs. I understand that the little one drains the crankcase. What does the big one offer? Should both be opened to drain it all?

Also, what special tool do I need to do the oil filter without removing the pan? I am letting the dealer do the first services so they can do it "right".....I hope.......and I am going to ask them to SHOW me what they are doing if they are friendly enough.

What does the big one offer? Should both be opened to drain it all?

every Guzzi caries history with it. The two big ones are from the time the sport 1100i and daytonas rs were blessed with that oilpan. They had 2 oillines to the spline, instead of the one you have. So they had only the small hole left.

But you are free to unplug the one you like :grin:

Guest scott

Apexlocator, funny you should ask because I recently put the smaller drain plug to use. This past winter I did some major mods on my V11 LeMans by relocating the fuel filter, fuel pump, the air temp sensor, AND the engine/oil temp sensor.

Well, if you guessed right I rewired the engine/oil temp sensor into the smaller oil drain plug hole. All of this was done in an attempt to rid the bike of running eratic on very hot days here in the Sacramento Valley. I'm convinced the LeMans fairing prevents a lot of air flow to the above mentioned sensors allowing them to become "heat soaked" (the sensors get cooked sitting hidden under the gas tank), further causing the bike to run too lean on very hot days or in stop and go traffic. :sun:

Thus far, the bike runs much better and has not been surging while coasting along in the 2-3K rpm range.

Will post pictures soon. :pic:

Guest John T

Scott,

Is this oil temp guage the one that replaces the drainplug and fits a sensor and a digital readout of temps??

I want one of these, where did you get it? I think Lockhart Phillips has one, not sure. :huh2:

Unless I am misreading his post, I think Scott is simply saying he has moved the head-temp sensor(that is tapped into the back side of the right cylinder) to the smaller drain plug in the pan.

...not a an oil temp gauge.

Is this correct Scott? :huh2:

I have an oil temp gauge built into my dipstick from MG Cycle. It's not hyper-accurate, but I know about where it should be sitting under normal conditions, so it's good enough to tell if things are cooking... at a glance.

al

Guest scott

Al is correct; I moved the engine/oil temp sensor that sends output signals to the fuel injection computer (ECU). This sensor is orginally located midway up the right cylinder and is visible as you look just below the fuel tank.

Al, my theory is the the LeMans is more prone to "heat soak" the engine/oil temp sensor and the outside air temp sensor due to the fairing reducing the available air flow around the engine. I believe this problem only truly presents itself in warmer climates and/or stop & go traffic.

I'm waiting for some 90+ degree days before I post pictures and final results. But so far I'm very pleased with the results. :sun: