PowerCommander

Admin Jaap

I have a PowerCommander lying around and want to install it. What type of Palm organiser do I need for loading maps? I want to ebay/buy a used one, because loading maps is probably the only thing I 'm going to use it for.

Another thing: Can I contact Todd Eagan at GuzziTech for the closest map for my V11LM with Mistral X-over/ mufflers and K&N pod?. Is there a difference in US and Euro bikes/maps?

Thx for any input.

BTW, next riding test is scheduled April 15th... In 3 weeks I'll be riding again :bike:

Hi Jaap,

You have an older PC with a serial port if I remember correctly.

Any old palm has a serial interface, the newest ones only has USB I think.

I have a Palm but I rather take my work laptop home overnight to tinker

with the PC, so my advise would be to use a cheap laptop in the garage.

I have a setup that works. Palm is an M130 which is the color screen version of the M125 I think. You can pick these up cheap on ebay. Color screen is nice but unnecessary. any of the m100 series works well with the serial PCIII.

You will also need a "dynojet palm adapter" which I bought for a ridiculous amount of money. It is really just a null modem adapter with a couple of pins cut off.

Lastly you need the serial cable from palm for the device you are using, to connect from palm to PCIII.

Great little portable system - lets you run on a mileage map when touring, but can load the fun map for the twisty bits, or the 2 up map when with pillion.

Ryan

Guest v11jap

Hi Jaap,

I got an PC III USB lying around so if you want to save a lott of problems? It is in Holland even!

Ciao Jasper :nl::mg:

...heh, isn't that how is always goes? ^_^ You go and buy the "thing" and then cheap offers come out of the wood-work :rolleyes:

Good luck on the bike projects Jaap, and can't wait to see how your fairing conversion goes, especially in combination with Paul's tail :bike:

al

Guest jerroldt

I hate to come off as a klutz, but how does the Power Commander work? I am used to igition points and distributer timing etc. Suppose that I drill my stock mufflers for better sound or add new mufflers and buy a Power Commander: How do I program it for the right settings? I have a laptop with a serial port and USB port also. How can I program the Power Commander for my unique setting?

The PC just changes the fuel/air map, much like different jets on a carb.

Depending on your modifications, you can get a "generic" map that is made for what you have on the bike to take into account the necessary fuel/air requirements, or you can go to a Certified Dyno Center and have a custom map made... which is better, but around $200.

That's the high-level.... ^_^

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

al

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my story on installing the PCIII...

I just got out of the garage and installed the PCIII. Finally. Last week I got my license back so I was in a hurry to get the bike ready. The Öhlins fork, K&N pods, Ballabio handlebars... The bike ran great with only the Mistral mufflers and X-over but with the pods installed I thought it was time to get the PCIII into action. But first I had to find a means to upload a map.

My laptop hasn't got a serial port anymore... so no go there.

On eBay I found a cheap Palmtop M100. It came complete... yeah right... no cable. No go.

Then I bought an USB-serial cable to connect the laptop to the PCIII... no go.

Then EUREKA! I had an old PII desktop computer, which I moved to my garage. I had the bloody thing running and was ready to load the almost fitting mapwhen the graphic card ""melted" :blink:

So off to my local computer shop to get a cheap card. They gave me a 2nd hand free! Excellent. (They will get more business from me in the future.) Download the fitting drivers and presto, computer worked again.

The rest was a breeze. Installed the PCIII software, connected the computer with the PCIII and uploaded the map.

This afternoon I'm going to look for some nice mirrors... maybe Duc Monster?

Pics will follow asap.

But now... :sun: 23°C :bike:

Guest mcloutier

I was able to get a USB to Serial adapter working with my laptop and PC3. If I remember correctly I had to tell it to use serial port 1 or 2 before it would work. The USB serial adapters tend to choose com 5 or 6 and the PC3 software wouldn't work with the higher com ports. Something you might want to check.

Thanks, I'm not going to try anymore. Got it working with this huge old computer, that fit's exactly under my workbench. Now only get it to connect to my home network/internet, and put a bed and a fridge in the garage and Jaap is a happy camper! :grin: