Gearbox

antonio carroccio

Here we go. My gearbox is broking down.

This afternoon I did hear something between the second and the third and could not understand what it was. Up to the fourth, back again to the third and…… clack-clack-clack.

The third was gone. I think one tooth was broken and to dangerous to ride further.

So I brought my bike to Motortoer Amsterdam and the guy there (Ted) told me my bike was also called to Moto Guzzi for the engine paint. Wow. Lucky me.

I think I will let put in the engine also a new camshaft from Bruno Scola. www.scolabruno.com

Yeah, I think I will do that!

I’ll miss you…………….

How is the third for you guys? No problemos at all?

I have the 2000 Sport which was subject to the gearbox recall. My gearbox would sometimes 'freeze.' I took the bike in two weeks ago to Moto International and STILL don't have it back because my return spring needed replaced. It had lost its 'spring.' It was 'sprung.' I sure hope to hear from them today. I asked them to order this part over a month ago. That is some mighty slow delivery process. Man.

Guest dkgross
I asked them to order this part over a month ago. That is some mighty slow delivery process. Man.

I hate that Moto I is at the total mercy of MGNA for parts. I waited 4 weeks for a rear brake rotor. Not Moto's fault. But someone needs to kick MGNA in the ass and have parts more readily available!!

I hate that Moto I is at the total mercy of MGNA for parts. I waited 4 weeks for a rear brake rotor. Not Moto's fault. But someone needs to kick MGNA in the ass and have parts more readily available!!

Correct me if I'm wrong,but Moto I works closely with TLM and also gets spares through TLM, at least that's what I've been told. So if TLM hasn't got it, it has to come from Mandello. A few weeks before it arrives in Holland and the it takes a few more weeks to arrive in the US...

So my guess is it's not only MGNA's fault.

Antonio,

Drain your gearbox oil and look for metal shavings or pieces. Fish around inside the tranny with a telescopic magnet. Also, put it on a centerstand, and rotate the rear tire by hand. How does it feel? These will tell you if you busted a tooth without taking the tranny apart (they're not unambiguous, but they are easier than dissasembling the tranny). If you do think you have a broken gear, fix it before you drive it anymore. Maybe you only broke the return spring if you're lucky? Anyway, my condolences.

J

I hate that Moto I is at the total mercy of MGNA for parts.  I waited 4 weeks for a rear brake rotor.  Not Moto's fault.  But someone needs to kick MGNA in the ass and have parts more readily available!!

Correct me if I'm wrong,but Moto I works closely with TLM and also gets spares through TLM, at least that's what I've been told. So if TLM hasn't got it, it has to come from Mandello. A few weeks before it arrives in Holland and the it takes a few more weeks to arrive in the US...

So my guess is it's not only MGNA's fault.

I think what Dave meant, and what I've experienced as well, is that all warrantee parts must come through our distributor, which is MGNA... and approved by them as well. Otherwise the shop risks losing the cost of the parts/labor if they do it on their own dime assuming it will come through.

So in the end, although we could buy a new part ASAP, waiting for a warrantee replacement can take a looooong time.

al

Antonio, it is possible that the selector sleeve for 3rd & 6th gear has broken - that's what the recent recall was about. This happened to me on my Scura last year. I lost 3rd gear and part of the selector sleeve pushed a hole through the gearbox casing (that was a unusual event that alerted me to it being a serious problem!). Otherwise it was still running fine and I was able to limp home in 4th/5th gear. A simple test for this would be to check if you can get 6th gear (with the bike on a centrestand!). Because of the casing damage I had the whole gearbox replaced.