Better Lighting - HID

I've thought about this for a while.... but since our bikes have a single element providing both high and low beams, converting to an HID projector requires a special servo activated unit, as opposed to relatively easy conversions on bikes with two headlights where the HID can be used as the high-beam.

Although an expensive project, in theory one could make this conversion for about $200 based on the following kit:

http://www.hidtech.com/view/1064515734

It uses the quality Hella ballasts, and has the ability to offer both high and low beams via a servo activated shield.

One could potentially buy the kit, install half of it on the bike, and resell the other half.... making for an affordable solution.

For those that ride a lot at night, or have poor night vision, this could be a very good solution.

PLUS... and a big plus for many V11 riders, this conversion would cut the load on the electrical system by 30 or 40 Watts(or more if you are using over-wattage Halogen bulbs), which means one more piece of heated gear you can now support safely :thumbsup:

Anyway, just a thought. Looks like an interesting project :luigi:

I might look into this next Winter, but I think I'd want a spare/salvage headlight and bucket before cutting on mine ;)

al

A few comments:

HID/Xenon is not suitable for the high beam unless you have a bi-xenon solution,

the Xenon light need several seconds to stabilize so it is much better to change the

reflector of the "running" bulb than to light a second one.

In Sweden and in many other european countries

xenon-lights must be combined with automatic level

adjustment which rules it out for moto use.

Cheaper and just as good, get a 55/100 W bulb instead of

the 55/60 W standard H4 bulb. Just remember not to run the high beam

when cooling is not good (standing still).

Yeah, I have no idea regarding it's fitting in the stock bucket, etc... just brain storming at this point.

But I do have to say, there is no comparison in brightness with a 100W halogen and the HIDs.... the HIDs really are much brighter. And then of course, theres the power consumption advantage, and I think for a lot of people that would be a huge bonus :huh2:

Anyway, it's a lot of $$, so we'll see if I even attempt it next Winter. I'm not bothering now.... after all, it's riding weather :bike: , and no need to take anything out of service unnecessarily ;) Just thinking ahead B)

al

I purchased a used BMW bucket that was 98% similar to our Guzzi bucket. I was able to fit a xenon headlight from a 2001 BMW 328 into the bucket. I'm currently looking for a reflector to complete the transformation. I had to cut the back of the bucket to fit the igniter for the xenon. I tested the unit and the light is awesome. It has a high and low beam reflector built in and I was able to wire the light directly to our high/low beam switch. I will add pictures as soon as possible. I hope to find the last piece on ebay soon to complete the transformation. I'm also looking for another bucket to redo the job (better cutting). :ninja: