K&N Pods

Mal

Hi

hopefully somebody can help here, I want to fit K&N pods to my lovely black Le Mans :wub: , I've looked at various threads (but probably not all) and the Guzzi Tech site and thought I had it sorted, i.e. I needed some coded RU1780, however I've just rung up Motomecca to see if they had any and they don't recognise these and offered RU1400. I thought I'd be clever and check the K&N website to see if these were the same but there is quite a bit of difference on most of the dimensions :huh2: .

Can anyone out there confirm which ones are the ones to go for.

cheers

Mal :helmet:

P.S. hopefully see some of you on the Isle of Bute for the Scottish Guzzi rally in a few weeks and by the way have I mentioned recently how fantastic Guzzis are..the summer/rallyseason is here (almost) ....yahooo

Personally, I don't like the small, tapered filters - there doesn't seem to be enough surface area there. Plus, I had a conversation with the folks at Raceco and they indicated that they saw better power if you keep the stock intakes and attach the filter to those - apparently, Guzzis like LONG intakes.

In this case, you have to cut the flared ends off the intakes, and mount to that. The correct filter to use is the RU-0600.

Here is some detail from the guzzitech site:

Guzzitech.com - air filters

Also, here is a photo of the mounted RU-0600 from the Raceco web site:

KNindiv.jpg

I have run my V11 with RC-1200s to the rev limiter (9k rpm) on 4th gear and it pulled strong

all the way so the surface area issues can't be too bad :bike:

The point of getting pods is that the standard airbox restricts air flow quiet badly

so any pods will help.

The lenght of the intake should be matched to the rpm range you want to boost

and all other characteristics of the the intake (camshafts,valve size, porting).

This is science and there are no easy answers.

2 other reasons to get pods:

- the sound

- the look (and at least I like the tapered better)

the Isle of Bute for the Scottish Guzzi rally in a few weeks

Are you serious?

Where is there information about this?

[air filters] like a glove.

and Jaap – are you serious?

Your Guzzi would look like it has udders if you fitted gloves there.

the Isle of Bute for the Scottish Guzzi rally in a few weeks

Are you serious?

Where is there information about this?

ok, I found some dates, but maybe it is a 'members only' thing?

The dates aren't good for me anyway, but I would love an excuse to travel in that direction at some time over the summer.

(& yes, this really belongs in a different forum, so back to Jaap's KiNky pods)

In case you missed it through your research, we also have a FAQ on the suject here: Intake and Air Filter FAQ

It's mostly collected Forum threads, but can be helpful to see what others have done.

It looks like you may have already read my thread based on your search for the 1780 filters though. I don't know why the dealer couldn't find these, unless K&N has discontinued them :huh2:

Maybe if you can print out a photo, they can look up the new model # if so.... ^_^

Well the pods I have are the newer models that have the "intake runner" already integral to the pod, as opposed to older pods that were simply cannister/cylinders that clamped onto the intake.

These filters have a about a 4 inch "runner" already molded into the filter, and have the runner angled such that the filter can be appropriately angled and adjusted to fit correctly by simply rotating the filter around.

The part number is: RU 1780

Below is a photo of them installed behind the side-covers, clearly showing their built-in angled "runner".

I don't know if that helps any, but.... well, good luck :thumbsup:

al

post_5_1055141629.jpg

and Jaap – are you serious?

Your Guzzi would look like it has udders if you fitted gloves there.

Of course I'm serious :lol:

:lol: excellent. They must tickle your thighs a bit, so will keep you in a good humour when you get out riding. That can only be a good thing; what with The Crisis and all.

Thanks all, as usual very useful and very funny :D

I may fit the gloves ^_^ although I'd rather a pair of little black numbers to match the bike.

I've got a few days off over Easter to mull the options over although I have to admit I'm tempted by the argument about keeping a long intake length. The Easter break will also mean no computer (only have access to one at work) so apologies if I don't answer any queries for a few days.

Belfastguzzi - the "Scottish rally" is organised through the Guzzi Club GB (although probably open to non-members) but unfortunately because of the size of the site thuis year its a bit limited in numbers.

Thanks everybody, much appreciated

Mal :helmet:

Guest pasturej

Mal

Spurred on by your e-mail I've just ordered a pair of RU-1780s from this online supplier here in the UK. £29.95 each plus VAT and P&P. Price seems about the same or maybe a bit cheaper than mottomecca.

Jonathan

Guest Bursledon-Mark

As a matter of interest has anyone tried using the K&N Pods with the stock exhaust and ECU :huh2: If so, I wondered what the results where