Scura question - New member

dbdicker

Hi alll,

I'm new here but in another life I owned (and put enormous mileage on) an 850 T5. Never got Guzzi off the brain, although I 've ridden a BMW R-bike for the last 6 years and 25K miles.

I looked at the LeMans 2 years ago and passed, because I didn't really fit right, I was too bent over the bike. Recently, with the creation of the more upright Guzzi's (Ballabio, Cafe Sport, Capo Itailia) I've gotten interested again in dumping my BMW for one of these. In my search for the best deal, I've come across a few leftover 02 Scuras, which dealers are really looking to dump at outrageously low prices considering their retail. The Scura has all the trick suspension stuff i've grown to require on my bikes (I did Ohlins upgrades to the BMW almost immediately after I bought it and never regretted the cost once).

the question is whether the bar and footpeg mods that are done on the Lemans (and other clipon guzzi V11's) ever REALLY fix the ergonomic problems as well as the tubular bar of the newer guzzis. Clearly, Moto guzzi realized that they can't attract the 'old, fat man BMW rider' (like me!) until they eased up on the riding position, hence the new models. I'd like to (obviously) save the thousands by buying the leftover Scura, but want some people to tell me if they can longhaul the lemans and its variants with the MPH cycles or the Two Brothers riser mods. (are there other riser kits than these 2?) How much adjustability is really possible? Will a 3 to 4 inch rise require entirely new hydraulic and electrical cables and make the mod cost many thousands? Which riser system has worked out the best? Can any shop be trusted to do the work?

Thanks for the input. I tend to keep bikes for many many years and therefore think about the investment for a while before committing. Therefore, any expertise from long time owners and riders of these bikes, both with and without the modifications are extremely valuable to me. I've searched the forum and found good information already, please see what else you can tell me.

Thanks and ride safe,

Dan

Dan, on the Scura ( I have one) > its a great motorcycle. The biggest problem with the Scura and most of the other 02 models is that the wrinkle finish paint on the engine cases will almost certainly bubble off. Some long threads on this are to be found elsewhere on this and other Guzzi sites. Also, the single plate clutch which Guzzi issued on the Scura is noisy at idle in neutral with your hand off the clutch lever. Despite some unusual cases, i dont think there is a major problem with the clutch. Mine works great. Also, some people encounter vapor lock with the fuel filter and pump exposed under the tank. Ive had no problems like that. The 03 and 04 models solved all of these problems. The new bikes have the fuel filter and pump inside the tank and new engine paint. The 03, 04 models also added a bit more compression and a new exhaust crossover. They also went back to the reliable old 2 plate clutch. Good luck!!!

thanks for the input. Jaap, I'd love to read about/see photos of your tubular bar conversion. thanks for the williamsport comp option, I followed the lead and the pictures look very, very good. I will probably buy the scura and take a chance on the other issues, I'll keep you all informed.

Dan

Dan,

I wrote up a 'how to' adapt a set of bars to the V11. It's pretty easy really, and I used bars that were short enough that I did not have to replace the brake line. My cost was around $2-250US. It looks like the V11lemans webpage link is down (Jaap?), so here's some pictures on my website: http://plasterbath.chem.uiowa.edu/fairing/bars/bars.html

If you want a more ergonomic position, I would suggest higher bars than I used, and also check out Ian's adaptation of Centauro footpegs onto a V11. However, you also should look into the risers option. The biggest disadvantage of mounting bars is that you have to drill out the triple clamp. It doesn't compromise the strength, but you do have two permanent holes.

Cheers,

Jason

Guest Marcel

Hi,

my dealer fitted a bar for me as well, which didn't need any changes in brake and or clutch lines (he rerouted them).

It's an absolutely great mod, one of the best I can imagine. It makes my 01 Rosso Mandello a lot more useable - I can ride it for almost a day now :)

I've got alumunum Pro-Taper style bars on my Scura. I used aftermarket bar mounts (from a company named TAG.) They're available in the USA from Parts Unlimited (distributor, no retail) so any shop can order them up for you. They come with 3 differing heights. You'll want to get the tallest one or the bars will foul on the tops of the fork tubes.

With some creative routing and also trimming the plastic shrouds that route the cables and wiring under the tank I was able to reuse all the original hoses. Tag also makes mounts for standard 7/8" bars if you don't like the fat ones. If I recall the mounts are about $45 USD plus whatever the bars you decide on cost.

This also helped a bit with vibration too. Overall a nice thing to do, in my book.

I love my Scura. Best of luck to you with yours.

John