EFI

Tim

I'm the proud owner of a 2000 V11 and its my 4th Guzzi but my first with EFI. I've always spannered my own bikes and (claim) to have a fair degree of knowledge. However when it comes to EFI I'm a complete gonzoid so I want to try and learn how it all works so I can understand the threads and guidance on this subject. Has anyone got any recommendations on where to start my research or is it an unfathomable mystery. What equipment would I need to mess about with the EFI system on my Guzz or should I leave well alone? (by the way I'm not that up on computers).

all info gratefully recieved

Tim

There's not too much you can do. The throttle position sensor is about the most common maintainence issue for EFI bikes and all you need is a multimeter.

BTW your bike has the third generation 15M controller. The manual in Paul's post is for the 1st generation P7/P8 but as he correctly points out much is still common.

You will probably find some of my site useful ( see my signature )

Guest northend

Get the TPS adjusted to its proper setting then sinc the throttle bodies, including the idle and your set. Except for the fuel map for which a PC III is nessesary to plug in different maps. :nerd::grin:

They're are alot of F.I. smart people on this website, Don't be afraid to ask.

Also check ....Guzzitech.com...GuzziPower

And....MGNOC.com

Hope this helps............Jeff H :mg:

P.S. A set of balance tubes help, I think someone on this site even had plans for a water type setup....Pretty cool :thumbsup:

Hi Tim,

Actually an open-loop EFI system like ours is quite simple... in fact, ignoring the ECU, it's actually simpler than a carb in many respects.

As you can no doubt find through a simple "Google" an EFI system really consists of just three items:

1- Fuel Pump to pressurize the loop

2- Injector(high speed valve)

3- Pressure Regulator

....and of course, some system either electronic or mechanical to open and close the injectors at the correct time.

The pump draws fuel from the tank, pressurizing the fuel line/rail that the injectors are attached to. The pressure regulator at the "end" of the fuel line/rail maintains the correct pressure, releasing fuel back as needed into the tank to maintain this equilibrium. Hence an EFI "loop" :luigi:

Again, the injectors, simply then cycle open/closed as needed to mist fuel into the throttle-body, or in other applications the intake manifold, or directly into the cylinder.

As far as "tinkering"... this is where EFI gets both simpler, and sometimes more frustrating than carbs. This is because in modern EFI systems, the air/fuel ratio(amonst other things such as timing) are controlled by the ECU. Since this is a simple computer, yes, one needs to have access to a method to modify this mapping as needed.

Many options present themselves such as buying the expensive FIM Ultimap software, along with a gas analyzer, and maybe a dyno, or a Power Commander with an appropriate map, or taking the bike to a technician that can tune either.

But bottom line, if you want to program it all yourself, you will need a computer, or at least a Palm Pilot, and the appropriate software. However, tuning it yourself outside of minimal parameter changes without a gas probe could be risky, as again... since we have an open versus closed(uses an oxygen sensor) EFI system, the ECU cannot automatically adjust from a too lean or rich setting... either of which can be a problem.

Anyway, hope that helps some.... from 50,000ft anyway ^_^

al

Thanks for the replies - I have printed off Paul's very useful document and I intend to read it and see if I can grasp EFI from that. From what you guys have said it seems to be a case of throttle position senosr adjustment for which I need a carb balancer (got one of those) and a multimeter - can anyone recommend one? Afte that its a case of changing the ECU to be able to use different maps for (I presume) different silencers or similar for which I should probably use a technician as I don't think its worth investing in a gas analyser.

My next question is how reliable is the EFI on my machine (00 V11)...do things go wrong?

thanks again for your time and patience - it is appreciated

Tim