Taking metal tags off Mistral silencers

mjdoliveira

I think you will fing the only cans witht he plates will be the carbon fibre ones. the Aluminium and stainless steel usally have such information directly stamped into the can. Titanium I dunno i suspect it might be stamped.

It seems he has the aluminum ones ;)

The aluminum cans that MG used to sell as "performance pipes" a couple years back before they came out with the new Ti/ECU kit, were simply rebadged(unmarked other than the off-road admonishion) aluminum Mistrals, except they had a nice big ugly "for off road use only" metal badge riveted on the side <_>

This apparently is what he is trying to get the rivets out of, and what I remember Rich Maund making nice rolled aluminum "Guzzi" plates to replace on his 01 Sport.

al

Thanks Al,

Yes they are the aluminum cans.

I contacted Rich about the badges -- unfortunately the guy he did them for went out of business.

I think at the end of the day I will probably drill out the existing rivets and replace them with new ones (sans badge). They should fairly closely match the aluminum color.

Still can't figure out what the marketing genius was thinking who approved sticking those things on. Hardly a hard-core set of racing pipes!

Still can't figure out what the marketing genius was thinking who approved sticking those things on.

I'll bet that in this case it wasn't a marketing genius, but a socially challenged, low tolerance, civil servant geek :nerd: who's only ability: ass kissing, got him to his current position where he could prescribe these ludicrous tags.

...just a guess...

I have the same cans - aluminum Mistral - and what I did was to grind off the wording on the plates and then used a scotch brite pad to get them to match the rest of the cannister. Looks perfect, although now I have a plate on each can that says nothing. But better that than "for off-road use only"!!!