Taking metal tags off Mistral silencers

mjdoliveira

The one thing I don't like about the Mistrals I recently installed on my bike are the "Off Road Use Only" metal tags riveted to the side of the cans. I'd love to get rid of the tags but don't want to be left with the rivet holes that would remain.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have a small collection of those valuable, original plaques. I am quite conscientious about keeping them safely off-road in the lid of my toolbox.

The rivets dril out cleanly and you can refill the holes with pop rivets. I 'blackened' mine with an aluminum blackening solution sold by Birchwood-Casey for gun parts.

After a couple tanks of gas your eye is no longer drawn to the rivets.

Later I was lucky to add a pair of the nice Guzzi plaques Rich Maund had made up. Pricey, but nice.

20pct_plaques.JPG

Al, if you ground the rivets flush , wouldn't they just fall in? :huh2:

Also, I supose you could fill the holes with some good black hi-temp RTV silicone and wipe it off flush with the surface.

Whatever you do , mj, let us know!

Al, if you ground the rivets flush , wouldn't they just fall in? :huh2:

...not flush with the can :rolleyes: , grind the shaft of the pop-rivet smooth with the surface of the rivet(if it sticks up). Being a pop rivet, it should pop off below the rivet though.

al

My origanal plan was to fill the holes. A friend supplied me with some aircraft grade epoxy, fiberglass strands and graphite powder to mix a concoction to match the cf. Never got the courage up to try it. :wacko:

mj, I'm just assuming you have cf cans. Or are they aluminum?

My origanal plan was to fill the holes. A friend supplied me with some aircraft grade epoxy, fiberglass strands and graphite powder to mix a concoction to match the cf. Never got the courage up to try it. :wacko:

mj, I'm just assuming you have cf cans. Or are they aluminum?

They are the aluminum ones.

I think you will fing the only cans witht he plates will be the carbon fibre ones. the Aluminium and stainless steel usally have such information directly stamped into the can. Titanium I dunno i suspect it might be stamped.

Guest northend

I have a simple cure to the problem. Don't buy the Mistral cans, buy M-4's,they don't have any tags on thier CF cans at all zip, zero, nadda. The carbon fiber is as smooth as glass, excellent quality and sound. :thumbsup:

They also have polished aluminum. I believe Harper's is where I got mine and I'm very happy with them. :grin:

Dare to be a little different guy's........Later......Jeff H.

I have a small collection of those valuable, original plaques. I am quite conscientious about keeping them safely off-road in the lid of my toolbox.

The rivets dril out cleanly and you can refill the holes with pop rivets. I 'blackened' mine with an aluminum blackening solution sold by Birchwood-Casey for gun parts.

After a couple tanks of gas your eye is no longer drawn to the rivets.

Later I was lucky to add a pair of the nice Guzzi plaques Rich Maund had made up. Pricey, but nice.

Doc,

Love those plates -- think I will give Rich an e-mail. If those are custom made he might be able to do me a couple of Mistral ones.

Barring that, seems like the best solution is to stick rivets in.

Drill out the rivets. It all comes out. JB Weld is too light a grey. I filled the holes with black epoxy. (CF IS epoxy.) Not seamless, but if you spent some time on it, applying a few layers, it could be. (I just didn't care that much). Get to it before the mufflers discolor, though. When you remove the plates, the CF beneath is shiny new, and the area where the plates were shows against the area exposed to the environment.

I think you will fing the only cans witht he plates will be the carbon fibre ones. the Aluminium and stainless steel usally have such information directly stamped into the can. Titanium I dunno i suspect it might be stamped.

It seems he has the aluminum ones ;)

The aluminum cans that MG used to sell as "performance pipes" a couple years back before they came out with the new Ti/ECU kit, were simply rebadged(unmarked other than the off-road admonishion) aluminum Mistrals, except they had a nice big ugly "for off road use only" metal badge riveted on the side <_>

This apparently is what he is trying to get the rivets out of, and what I remember Rich Maund making nice rolled aluminum "Guzzi" plates to replace on his 01 Sport.

al