What Happens to the Replaced Engine Cases?

Mike Stewart

So,

I was thinking about adding the extra cross bracing like the 02 models to my 00 V11 Sport. I can make the bracing and weld them in myself, but I would like to also have the bracing that mounts to the sides of the engine case. How can I get my hands on one of the warranteed black wrinkeled engine cases?

Mike

mike,

I don't think much stenght is from there. What makes a difference is the front engine mounting. And the behind the gearbox bracing. Both can be added at little cost. Or better entend your swingarm like I did.

Paul,

I just noticed how the newer bikes are braced differently on the front engine bracing. Never saw the difference till I looked under my Rosso. :homer:

If I do the bracing for the front engine bracket and also in the rear, will I notice it when my bike is pushed hard in the turns or am I wasting my time by adding the bracing?

Thanks,

Mike

Docc,

I took the picture of Carl's frame and drew a line in red where the 02 and newer frames are stiffened. The tubes that are higher and are welded by the steering dampener are not used on the newer bikes. How much this stiffens the front end is anyones guess. I'll have to leave the answer to Paul. :thumbsup:

Mike

Yep, that's the tube I have my tip-over valve lashed to, to keep it oriented and avoid "tank suck" as well hiding other wiring behind ^_^

Makes for a tight working area though <_>

al

Al,

I just removed the dang tip over valve on my 03 Rosso last night. The last few times I went into the garage, the tank was puckered in.. big time. It was even hard to open the fuel cap to release the vacuum. My valve was in the correct position but it would only take a very slight amount of vacuum to close off the valve. I removed the valve and the 3 inches of fuel hose and then just hooked up the fuel hose (over flow hose) to the right nipple. :D Now the fuel tank is vented like old school, no more tank suck to crack the paint.

Mike

...yeah, I'm probably going to do the same once my 2003 tank is back from the painters.

I don't know if the cracked paint on my original tank is from "tank suck", as I never experienced any symptoms as you describe... but I don't want this new(read=$$) paint to crack <_>

al