Alert! Speed Bleeders

twhitaker

Well, I never heard back from the Speed Bleeder folks either when I sent them an email asking about an exchange, referencing this error, and Terry's correspondence as well.

So I guess I'll just buy the correct size and be done with it. They are cheap.

al

• 2 weeks later...

OK, well I've installed the Speed Bleeders on the clutch, and front/rear brakes with no problem.

The 1010S is the correct unit for the clutch and rear brake, although the 1010S is almost too long to work in the clutch slave as the stock design is a bit different(OEM doesn't have a conical end, and instead is blunt) but it will fit with care.

And the SB8125L is the correct fit for the front brakes.

.....works like a charm :thumbsup:

And be sure to get their "IV Bag" for disposing of the fluid. It's very helpful.

al

• 4 years later...

G'day everybody !

Just want some clarification on speed bleeders for my Luci.

I have a set of 8125 and 8125l in front of me and my original bleed nipple from the front caliper.

Now i remember fitting a 1010s for the clutch after carefully grinding down the conical end. Still working well.

It appears that the front nipple also needs some grinding down when compared to the original.

Is this what other people did for the 8125l to work ?

I have fitted the 8125l without modification and tightened as much as i dare and they still leak 1 small drop over time through the nipple.

Also with or without the end modification it appears as the 8125 is a closer fit than the 8125l which has a lot of excess thread above the caliper.

Do the front/rear calipers and clutch all have a small ball bearing inside that the original blunt/concave end mates with ?

Appreciate your time.

Cheers

Bruce

When I got mine I was more concerned about the 8125 threads being too short than the "L" threads being too long. Mine fit without any modifications. I would suggest you pull the offending bleeder to see if there are any marks about the sealing area on both components. You might put the short one in to see if it cures your problem.

Ok!

I have grinded a small amount from the 8125 for the front and installed- fine so far.

Similair with the rear but it still leaks a little (1 drop).

As did the original which is flat bottomed with a dimple in the centre.

The dimple on the original bleeder for the rear brake looks like it could locate a small ball bearing for sealing.

1. Does any one know if any of the brakes on the bike and the clutch have ball bearings sitting inside the bleeder cavity ?

2.Could the "original" nipple i have from the rear brake be the clutch nipple ?

If anyone is about to service these areas can they check for me inside the bleeder nipple cavity and check the shape of the original base end of the nipples and if any have ball bearings inside.

Someone i think once mentioned a ball bearing in the clutch or rear brake.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks everyone for the replies.

No troubles with the front and the clutch now. (i assume the ball bearing is in there).

The rear has a dimple as well and i have ground down the speed bleeder to suit but have a sealing problem. Any idea if the rear had the sealing ball bearing as well- or have i switched the original clutch bleeder to the rear ?

Cheers

Bruce