lead weight in the clip-ons

docc

And even better with Uranium! Lead has a density of 11.4 g/cm3, Uranium has a density of 18.9 g/cm3. No, no, no. No worries about radiation if you use DU (depleted uranium- two of the three naturally occuring isotopes have been mostly removed). While uranium is radioactive, its just a beta emmiter- so the aluminum bars would very easily block any radiation. So, who's up for it?

J

You get a much better effect from lead. Steel weight is .283 pounds per cubic inch while lead is close to .400 pounds per cubic inch. We use lead for counterweights in machine tools because it's quite a bit denser.

Yeah, but you don't use lead shot - as I said, with the air spaces between the balls it ends up having the same density as solid steel! :luigi:

You get a much better effect from lead. Steel weight is .283 pounds per cubic inch while lead is close to .400 pounds per cubic inch. We use lead for counterweights in machine tools because it's quite a bit denser.

Yeah, but you don't use lead shot - as I said, with the air spaces between the balls it ends up having the same density as solid steel! :luigi:

This point/sub-conversation has sorta "lost" me :huh: I suspect I've just missed someone's subtle point.

We are talking about loading the bars with shot(balls) of steel or lead. If the gauge of the shot is the same, the density of the lead is higher, so the weight in the bars with lead is greater than the steel shot, period... regardless of "air spaces", as the volume of air will be the same, whether steel or lead shot is used.

If we are however talking about comparing a solid steel bar insert with lead-shot, then sure I guess the weight is similar(depending), but the lead shot is easier to make/get and insert IMHO :huh2:

...and of course, yes the "ultimate" in lead filling would be to pour molten lead into the bar end, but I think that's a bit too much trouble for most folks. I know it is for me :D ...and for probably incremental difference in performance over lead shot anyway. You really can't get much in there anyway, as the very end of the bar is solid where the bar get's clamped, and a lot of the remaining hollow portion of the bar is taken up by whatever mechanism holds your bar-end in.

Although the lead shot I used was very small gauge, I was surprise by how little I was actually able to get in there and still insert my Throttlemeister bar ends. Any bar ends that use similar compressed rubber friction mounts will similarly consume space inside.

al

Guys, the definitive answer to kill bar vibration completely, forever, no more.

I suffer terribly from any sort of vibration (one of my other passions is bicycle racing and I get the same problem on coarse surfaced roads) so most may not need to go to this extreme - cut new bars from .095" wall 4130 cromoly steel tube, filled one end with a threaded plug, filled all but the inner 2" of the tube with molten lead (used wheel weights) and filled the clamp end with a neat plastic plug. Then bolted 60mm long x 35mm diameter steel bar end-weights on. Painted it all in 2-pack black and fitted bars to bike using an overhead crane ...... didn't bother weighing it all but it's a lot. Can assure anybody desperate to fix the problem that this works - completely !

And even better with Uranium! Lead has a density of 11.4 g/cm3, Uranium has a density of 18.9 g/cm3. No, no, no. No worries about radiation if you use DU (depleted uranium- two of the three naturally occuring isotopes have been mostly removed). While uranium is radioactive, its just a beta emmiter- so the aluminum bars would very easily block any radiation. So, who's up for it?

J

Well, I don't think you're going to be able to run down to your local hardware store and buy and D238. If you have a friend in the elevator repair business in the USA, you might be able to get ahold of some D238 through him. Some manufacturers use it for their counterweights. It only takes a thin layer of paint to restrain the alpha emissions. I get a secret grin every time I think of the anti nuke crowd riding in elevators counter balanced by the very materials that they protest against.

As far as the original lead shot abraded into powder post goes. Lead dust is pretty deadly stuff, and as a dust, it should be treated as a hazardous material. Have your Fire Department hazardous material crew come and clean it up and dispose of it, otherwise, find some way to melt it back into a larger solid piece. Don't dispose of it (especially dust) in the household trash - you won't be doing Mother Earth any favors and she may sic a landslide on one of your favorite roads. Lead shot should be thoroughly matrixed in silicone rubber or something to prevent the abrasion problem.

The “battery effect” is known as “galvanic corrosion” and will occur whenever two dissimilar metals are in contact.

So the lead will corrode before the Aluminum?