I give up on the front u-joint

Guest jimjib

Then with a stip of cloth and a chop stick I clean up. I findle the 36" x3" rag back and forth through the joint in various directions picking up as much proto-fling as possible - go for a short ride and clean up the rest.

55242[/snapback]

Hi Craig- if you tape a piece of cardboard around the driveshaft tunnel (extend the tunnel), then it will catch all the fling-off and you don't have to clean up.

J

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 2000 V11 sport owner here. I'm interested in the drive shaft greasing solutions you seem to have found - unfortunately we don't have the same shops/stores here in the UK - has anyone found a fitting/grease gun over here that wil do the job (and a type of grease that fits the Guzzi spec)?

Also I seem to remember someone posting a thread about an attachement for a greasegun that was simply a pointed tube (for a forklift truck or somesuch) - does that work??

As usual all suggestions gratefully recieved

Tim

PS Returned from a long high speed run in very hot weather a week or so ago and when I got back into the town I noticed the neutral light was on all the time - anyone experienced this before or know what it is (back to normal now)?

Guest Nogbad
Returned from a long high speed run in very hot weather a week or so ago and when I got back into the town I noticed the neutral light was on all the time - anyone experienced this before or know what it is (back to normal now)?

55538[/snapback]

Probably thermal expansion of the contact blade. Might be borderline on tension. Has yours had the recall mods to the gearbox (nothing to do with the neutral light though I'm just interested as my 2000 model managed to escape)?

I just spent 2 hours trying to get grease into the front u-joint.  I pulled the wheel and dropped the drive line a little..as suggested.... but it still was impossible to be sure I got grease to go where it was supposed to. 

That's the last time I bother with that job.  Maybe a dwarf with a dwarf grease gun  would have a better chance.

1749[/snapback]

I managed to get mine with a "needle" type addapter.

35.00$ @ Hapco....7.49$ @ Auto Zone.

Put my own gentile little bend in it.

Finally a little luck...

• 8 months later...
Guest Rick Cochran

Taking the swingarm off and removing the entire drive shaft is easy and you're halfway there when changing the tire. It makes it easy to lub and clean the excess grease you just squeezed out when you pumped the new grease in. I lub all the fittings on the driveshaft each time I change the tire. It appears to be working pretty well so far. :luigi: So far I've got 45K on my V11 Sport. :mg:

Well I just finished putting my V11 back together after greasing the driveshaft u-joints. You would be suprised how difficult it is to get a swivel fitting for a grease gun. I tried all the local automotive parts stores as well as all the hardware stores and even local farm equipment suppliers.

Aklands had nothing in stock neither did KMS Tools. So, I took a regular grease fitting end and ground it down to make it more narrow then I added a close nipple followed by a 45 degree pipe fitting. Attached this to the front grease nipple after removing the rear wheel and lower shock bolt as well as removing the shield around the u-joint. Screwed on the flexible hose and pump away. What a chore! It was kind of nice to get to know my bike a little more intimately, I guess that's just the gear head in me. I am a mechanic after all, although I usually have a lot more room to work on the locomotives.