Pc111 users

Guest gooddog

Guest gooddog

i'd like to see a collection of pc111 maps from anyone who has had a custom set up. i know al has had some work done and david laine. is it possible for us to upload are maps onto this site for comparison? i'd like to see what the maps look like using the pc111 software to compare what the numbers are for each different set up. my guess is that it is possible to custom tweek a map by using a little logical intuition and tuning by feel. i've talked to enzo about his dyno tune experience here in seattle, and it seems as if the gentelman who performed it wasn't pleased to work on a guzzi and it was expensive. of course he might have been frustrated by enzo's set up, that we might never know. mr. jaap si,r is it possible to run a map resource on this site?

ray

The largest repository of PCIII maps are, in order:

http://www.guzzitech.com/PCIII-Maps.html

http://www.powercommander.com/706-211.shtml

...hope that helps :thumbsup:

al

P.S.

If you have any questions about the PCIII in regard to Guzzis, Todd at Guzzitech is your man. He is the MG community's resident Power Commander "guru" and more-or-less official emissary to Dynojet. He's the one that gets all the special runs made for older bikes. Anyway, drop him an email if you have any questions, and I bet he has a map, or suggestions for your application.

I've been meaning to ask Todd something, but now that I think of it this is a good spot to post it too...

I was thinking about using other peoples maps in bikes they were not created for (as this is what I am currently doing) and thought of something.

The PCIII runs in line with the ecu. The ECU is programmable. Most people have messed with this or had their shop mess with it to get things running the way they want. Wouldn't the ECU's have to be tuned identically for the map to work properly?

eg. Joe has bike running rich, wants more performance, gets PCIII. Shop dynotunes bike, creates map.

I like Joe's bike so I buy the same bits he has, get PCIII, get his map, but my bike was last tuned lean for long distance mileage.

Will there be a difference? If so, how big is possible, and if not, why?

Feel free to tell me that I 'm spending too much time thinking and not enough time spent :rasta:

Rj

GDog,

If I remember right, I have a few different maps for your bike on my laptop. Some of them are custom I think. We can try a few different things tonight. If you find some you want to try, download them onto a floppy disc and bring them.

Guest Marcel

Just FYI,

I installed my PCIII yesterday and took the bike out for a 150 mile ride today. Installed map on it was (I bought Jasper's PCIII) a map called 'Stock Airbox, Stock X-Over and FreeFlow mufflers'. Since that pretty much describes my setup (for the moment at least) I tried it.

Boy o boy what a difference it makes. The bike rides a lot better, smoother. Throttle response is better. Injection on/off is not as 'hard'.Low rev pick-up is better. But the downside .... mileage is WAY down. Down to 12.5 - 13km/liter. Ouch :( I guess it is way too rich, since my buddy said he could smell gasoline when riding behind me.

Anybody got a suggestion? I'd like to have the standard mileage (which isn't great, at 14.5 km/l) with the new behaviour, or is this asking too much? Of course, I'm using a European setup, maybe the map was made for a US bike? I've been reading about improved fuel-efficiency.

I'll have a custom map made once I've got the Mistral X-over & K&N pods installed. So this is just playing around but I'm curious about what can and cannot be expected.

The best way to use the PCIII is to have the bike dynoed and have the map made for your bike. :thumbsup: If everything was equal in life, then a few maps would cover most bikes. But with U.S. ecu maps and European maps and adjustments to the stock ecu by dealers plus now the factory performance ecu's that came with the Ti cans, this throws another wrench into the equation. I think there are even a few different ecu maps from the factory on the early 2000 V11 Sports.

So if you have a U.S. bike, then a map made for an European model will not work. It will be lean (yes I have tried this a few years ago on my 00 V11Sport). If one bike had the stock ecu tweaked by the dealer, then there is a good chance a PC III will need a different map than what is available.

Also, it seems that there has been an evolution of maps since the early 2000 models and every year got better (running wise) than each previous year. My 2003 Rosso ran perfect in stock form but with an exhaust change a PCIII was needed to cure the sputtering, surging and dying conditions. The first map I tried on my 03 Rosso was one from a 02 lemans and the bike ran very lean. I had to richen up the mixture through out the rpm range to make the bike run right.

I have not had any of my bikes dynoed to have a map made but I aim to have it done sometime this summer.

Hope this helps,

Mike

I'll have a custom map made once I've got the Mistral X-over & K&N pods installed.

Marcel, I am planning to do the same. If we go together maybe we could get a discount... :D Are you still coming over next wednesday?

Guest Marcel

Yep Jaap,

I'm still planning to come over next Wednesday.

Today I did the same trip twice, each about 100km long. Once with the map I described earlier, getting very good response from the bike, and mileage of 12.9 km/l. The second time around, with the Dynojet 'Stock European bike' setup, getting a mileage of 15.1 km/l.

Throttle response was slightly less, but still better than without PCIII, but I had the feeling the engine wasn't as smooth at 5K RPM as it used to be.

Wonderful toy. Wonderful excuse to take the bike out.

The PCIII runs in line with the ecu.  The ECU is programmable.  Most people have messed with this or had their shop mess with it to get things running the way they want.  Wouldn't the ECU's have to be tuned identically for the map to work properly?

Feel free to tell me that I 'm spending too much time thinking and not enough time spent :rasta:

Rj, heh... you're spending too much time thinking about it.

While the ECU is "programmable" using software similar to FIM or TechnoResearch... most have not. Mostly the real world variable is the TPS voltage, critical for sharing maps. I have noted most of the TPS voltages in the notes section of the maps I have listed at GuzziTech.com.

As noted, the best bet is to have a map custom built for you bike. But when you do, be sure to document your TPS voltage... for future use, and so you can share it with me/others.

Todd

'Certified PCIII Tech'